Anyone use the built-in Keyboard + Trackpad exclusively?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by turbineseaplane, May 11, 2017.

1. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Just curious, but does anyone here use the MBP built in keyboard & trackpad even when connected to external displays?

2. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

I do. I never connect to external displays so use by MBP as laptop only.

3. Guda.FL macrumors regular

I stopped. the landing strip trackpad started to annoy the heck out of me during past 2 months. If not looking at the screen I find myself typing all over the doc.

Personally, I ended up using an external keyboard and my gaming mouse, I miss the mouse 2 gestures but I also don't have the left/right click confusion as well.

And I have used the built in keyboard and trackpad prior to this new MacBook. Weird now that you brought this up and I think a bout it......

4. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I did have that setup (MacBook in front of the monitor) when I used the new Touch Bar model. The trackpad and keyboard are excellent and this is the only way you can use Touch Bar and TouchID.

For some specific tasks I also have the Logitech MX Master mouse.

Now I use the 2015 MBP 15" without external monitor. I do have the BaseLift by Twelve South. It's brilliant as it is always with you.

5. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Oh you dumped the 2016?
    Why's that?
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2017 ---
    Can you explain that a bit more?
    Are you referring to that palm rejection and thus cursor issues?

Or something else?
    I sort of find this interesting because I'm considering just going to the 15 inch exclusively and plugging in an external monitor for Final Cut stuff and have a larger canvas / playback monitor.

I'm just finding that fixed desktop setups are getting me elbow and shoulder issues no matter which trackpad or mouse I try, standing or sitting… Getting old sucks

For some reason laptops work really well for me and allow me to mix up where and how I'm working all the time.

6. Guda.FL macrumors regular

Yes! Im finding myself holding my hands oddly tiltednupwards now when typing whereas I had never done that on the 2015 and pretty much rested my palms on the body. My wife pointed that out. I personally think its a design flaw in a way to have such a big trackpad....I truthfully do not find it that much more convenient to the previous size...someone correct me?

I find the curser ending up all over the doc and even writing emails it jumpy and I find writing text all over the place...its annoying no going around it. Palm rejection isn't as good as they say and I use my laptop daily for work/travel.

*Edit. I have pondered just selling it and getting the 2015 back, but I have spec add and cannot see myself going back 3 years. Other than the trackpad, I have fully converted to the usb-c and keyboard.

7. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I had to give it a try (2-3 months), but it was just too expensive. I got the 2015 model with similar performance for a lot less.

Everything else about the machine is terrific IMO. Maybe I'll get one second hand or wait until the new model comes out.
    I personally had no problems or at least not enough to switch to external periphirals. I love how easy the four finger swipes are and other gestures. The old one feels too small now.

8. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I do. I use an external display to put less relevant stuff, but I actually work on the laptop screen in Photoshop, because it is a large enough area for me. The 15" size is perfect for my Intuos, and sometimes I work in Astropad on iPad and - again - use the built in keyboard and trackpad.

The reasons for this:
    - I love the new keboard
    - I love the new trackpad. I have the Magic Trackpad which is the same size, but I use that when I'm on my iMac. Love the size. Don't understand why people have problems with it, even when I intentionally place palms on it, it doesn't register it (although I type with my palms hovering above using my lower arms as fulcrums to raise the palms above - I find it hard to type while touching the surface)
    - I love the TB after customizing it.

It is the best input combination on any device I tried (not counting styluses).

9. jerryk macrumors 68020

Only when I give presentations. Otherwise I use the external display, mouse, and keyboard.

10. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

But why? The palm rejection works great. And lowering wrists to touch the trackpad is actually bad for the wrists. I don't understand why people have to touch the surface.... but even if you do, the reject works great.

The larger trackpad allows much nicer movement, gestures - I love it. It's not a design flaw, in my opinion.

11. ipponrg macrumors member

I also use the keyboard + trackpad without peripherals. Works fine for me, and I do devops + JS development on it.

12. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Also, a tip for anyone having issues with palm rejection - turning off tap to click helps a lot.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I do, unless I am using it to run video content to a TV by wire then I use my iPad mini as a trackpad and keyboard.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When my MBP was my main machine, I had a keyboard/mouse/monitor on my desk. When I was using it from a different location, then I'd use the keyboard/trackpad. When I travel, I usually have a mouse with me, as I prefer that over the trackpad but not an external keyboard. I suppose if I get the 2016 MBP, I could always get a BT keyboard that suits me more then the MBP keyboard but I really haven't thought through that much.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

My 13" rMBP is used exclusively as a portable computer (I've got an iMac for desktop use) so I only ever use the built in keyboard and trackpad with it.

16. robvas macrumors 68020

17. leman macrumors 604

I exclusively use the built-in keyboard and trackpad and don't see any reason to change this. Only use external mouse for gaming — and even that just for shooters and similar games (strategy games work well enough with the trackpad).

18. colinwil macrumors regular

Yes - what he said!

And on these macbook pros you have the options of controlling how hard you have to press to click. If you set it to 'Light' it's almost like having Tap to Click on - just more positive.

19. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Thanks for the replies all.
    I apologize for not more specifically wording the question originally.

I really meant "for those that use external displays at least some of the time", do you use the built in peripherals exclusively?

I certainly expect that if the MBP is your only computer that you would likely only use the built in gear.

This all got going in my head based upon my situations and then that Apple promo pic we have all likely seen of a MBP connected to 2 external monitors in a position where it sort of implied that the built in peripherals are what you'd use exclusively, even when docked.

20. leman macrumors 604

Still yes :) But I am using external monitors as secondary displays only (e.g. for live preview of latex output/databases/analysis results). If you use external monitor as a primary display I agree that built-in keyboard might be a bit awkward...

21. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

I do of course when I am on my laptop only, but when I am connected to external display so no. My lid is always closed then.