Anyone use the iPad like a car GPS map.?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clacknut, Jun 21, 2011.

1. clacknut macrumors member

Hi, thinking of taking an extended road trip.

have a Navman Car GPS, problem is it is only a GPS. (has limited 'find local' facilities, but that does not allow to hook to their web sites, etc, and not to find anything in the next town.)

I am thinking of buying an Ipad, as it could be used to 'surf the net' to find local shops & tourists attractions in the towns I visit (NOT while driving obviously.)

and at night plan my next days and surf locally as well and stay connected to my emails and web home page, etc. (cant find any GPS think for my iBook.?)

any one out there using the iPad like this.

would love to hear hints tips, and what is the best app for this as it looks like there are several.

regards, Sandy

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I use my 3G iPad as a GPS in my car. It's a great navigation device. I use NAVIGON(universal app) on my iPad and iPhone. It's a good one

3. omicron macrumors member

I use my iPhone as a gps with tomtom and I have my iPad in case the map is outdated or if someone else in the car doesn't want to be bored out of their minds. I think it would be dangerous to have the iPad in your car because it might be in the way of something if you freak out.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't mount it on the windshield or in front of the gauge cluster.

5. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

I've used mine in this way and it works great, with a few caveats...

First. You must have a 3G version of the iPad
    second. Seriously think through where you will put the iPad while driving. It's too big for the windshield, and is too large to prop up in most vehicles, and then you have the issue of it falling if you do prop it somewhere when you hit the brakes.

I have found that in our Sienna van, the iPad can be wedged between the dash and the center console and it is pretty secure, and is easily visible. In my truck, my copilot has to hold it.

Also, the DAC in the iPad is not as good as the iPhone, so audio from the 30pin connector is not as clear.

You will also need an iPad rated car charger, as standard cig lighter chargers can't pull enough current to charge the iPad.

6. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

We used the iPad on a cross country trip and it worked great. I had a case that propped it up at about a 12 degree angle and it was perfect for laying on the center of the dash. The screen is big enough that it's still very easy to read at an angle like that. It's also great for when someone is helping navigate since you both can glance at the gps when needed.

7. BurningJah macrumors regular

look at ram-mount! they have alot of solutions for mounting an Ipad!
    I used tomtom on my ipad and it holds out! much easier to read than on my iphone

8. clacknut thread starter macrumors member

Is the GPS maps (say by Navman) going through the Internet or from internal ram.

just wondering if using it like this I will be charged for internet & Data...

or is that only when I use Safari.?

again excuse my nievity in this but just new to this all.

regards, Sandy

9. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

We used navigon. It really depends on the gps software you pick and I don't know about navman.

Things like navigon and tom-tom have built in maps. Others like AT&T and google maps use a data connection.

10. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

I use tom-tom, and it has built in maps. Precision location is pretty good, as the iPad is on par with my iP4 and my garmin nuvi.

11. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Just remember you need to get the 3G iPad if you want gps.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

There have been several times where I knew I was going to be turning left and right to find a specific location and wanted a bigger screen rather than my iPhone