Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

konjecture

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2015
So I have the 128 GB Mini 4 along with the new Smart Cover which is a hefty investment. I'm curious if you guys use the Silicone case for the back? I love the idea of protecting the back and the edges of the iPad since I have the silver color, however I also don't want the iPad to get too bulky. I actually like having two separate accessories since I can take off the smart cover if I want when I lie down on bed and use my iPad without having to fold it and it also doesn't hinder taking pictures of videos.

The silicone case is pretty expensive at $59. I'm also wondering if I should get the Apple one or wait for a third party silicone case which is exactly similar but much cheaper?

philliez98

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Southeastern PA
I have both front and back cover. It is definitely good quality and it is nice to have the back cover on it if taking your mini on the go. Around the house I will usually leave just the Smart Cover on and take back cover off.
It really comes down to preference. It does add some bulk and does take away a little from the form factor but since there aren't many options right now for alternatives I think it was well worth the investment. Also, new color options are available that you can mix and match.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
You can buy the one piece SmartCASE "clones" on Amazon now for $6.00 to $12.00 with free shipping if you have Prime. Obviously not the identical quality as the Apple version but does the same thing for 1/5th of the price. If money is no object go for the Apple, if it is an object look elsewhere. IMO the difference isn't really worth $40+ for an item that probably costs 40cents to manufacture.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
We got the silicone case for my wife's iPad mini 4 and we absolutely love it! I actually sent Apple feedback a while back requesting they release one to match the iPhone 6 silicone case and I was so happy that they listened. Two gripes that I have (and these have nothing to do with the quality) are they don't have cases yet for the iPad Air 2 and they for some reason had to leave out the one color that my wife has for both her Apple Watch band and iPhone 6 silicone case, Antique White.

But anyway, the silicone case is awesome. Yes it is pricey but I just love how it blends so well with the Smart Cover, both in fit and in exact color. I think it's well worth it especially if you like your devices looking uniform. It feels really comfortable in your hands and the texture of it feels great, Also, functionally it serves another purpose: I think there's a hidden magnet on the right side of the case so when you fold your Smart Cover back, because if you extend it to cover the back it snaps and holds behind your iPad.

So yea I totally recommend it. :D

Reactions: DJTaurus

Tapper123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
$59 just for a silicone back?! Seriously? With the smart cover at $39, that's $100 total. You can get double the storage in your Mini for that money, or buy dozens of great apps and music. I'm sorry, but that's a ripoff.

I bought a Moko case/cover for the Mini 4 on Amazon for $6, and it's surprisingly nice. Great feeling materials, looks good, fits perfectly, and the design actually protects the corners unlike some similar cases I've seen. Does all the tricks Apple's smart cases do, i.e. tri-fold cover works as stand with magnets holding the shape, smart open/close magnet, etc.

I can't believe people are paying $100 for a case & cover. o_O

You can buy the one piece SmartCASE "clones" on Amazon now for $6.00 to $12.00 with free shipping if you have Prime. Obviously not the identical quality as the Apple version but does the same thing for 1/5th of the price. If money is no object go for the Apple, if it is an object look elsewhere. IMO the difference isn't really worth $40+ for an item that probably costs 40cents to manufacture.

Yep. Apple is making a TON of money on accessories. That's also why they install chips in lightning cables so they can lock out 3rd party ones. The profit margin on accessories is huge for them. Luckily they haven't tried to lock out 3rd party cases and covers. Yet. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: BiteMe!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I spent some time handling the silicone case at the local Apple store. I really didn't like the feel of the case, and the lighter colors were already showing dirt and soiling from handling.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I spent some time handling the silicone case at the local Apple store. I really didn't like the feel of the case, and the lighter colors were already showing dirt and soiling from handling.

I can't convince you otherwise about the feel of the case, but I can tell you that although you saw a lot of dirt on the lighter colors, these silicone cases from Apple are highly resistant to dirt. I can't stress this enough. Assuming Apple is using the same exact silicone material as the iPhone counterparts, then any dirt literally just wipes right off. I've been using the white silicone case for my iPhone 6 for a year now and it seriously looks exactly as it did when I first got it. I've even marked it up with felt-tip pens and I just wipe the marks right off with my finger.

Overall, in terms of staying clean, it's a huge improvement over the leather cases which I've found tend to get dirty over time.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I can't convince you otherwise about the feel of the case, but I can tell you that although you saw a lot of dirt on the lighter colors, these silicone cases from Apple are highly resistant to dirt. I can't stress this enough. Assuming Apple is using the same exact silicone material as the iPhone counterparts, then any dirt literally just wipes right off. I've been using the white silicone case for my iPhone 6 for a year now and it seriously looks exactly as it did when I first got it. I've even marked it up with felt-tip pens and I just wipe the marks right off with my finger.

Overall, in terms of staying clean, it's a huge improvement over the leather cases which I've found tend to get dirty over time.

The cases I was handling were Apple silicone cases for the Mini 4. The reason that you aren't going to convince me is because I've spent time with them in my hands. You can tell me that you like the feel. I can tell you that I didn't. Neither one of us is wrong about that (which is a nice change from how things usually develop around here ;) ).

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The cases I was handling were Apple silicone cases for the Mini 4. The reason that you aren't going to convince me is because I've spent time with them in my hands. You can tell me that you like the feel. I can tell you that I didn't. Neither one of us is wrong about that (which is a nice change from how things usually develop around here ;) ).

Yes. That's exactly why I said I can't convince you about the comfort of the case because that's your opinion. And it definitely is refreshing to have that at MR :)

I can however try to convince people in terms of keeping the cases clean because through the experience of owning the silicone case for the iPhone 6 for over a year, and now owning the iPad mini 4 silicone case, I really can confidentially say that these are easily the best cases Apple has ever made for dirt resistance and keeping the original look intact over time. Beats out the iPhone 4/4s bumper, iPad Air Smart Case, and the iPhone 5/5s leather case easily.

Last edited:

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
I think the purpose of the case is to make sure it gets dirty/scratched/bumped/damaged instead of the device it was designed to protect. If you worry that the case will get dirty, don't you think this is way too much concern - why not get a case to protect the case?

Reactions: Celebion

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yes. That's exactly why I said I can't convince you about the comfort of the case because that's your opinion. And it definitely is refreshing to have that at MR :)

I can however try to convince people in terms of keeping the cases clean because through the experience of owning the silicone case for the iPhone 6 for over a year, and now owning the iPad mini 4 silicone case, I really can confidentially say that these are easily the best cases Apple has ever made for dirt resistance and keeping the original look intact over time. Beats out the iPhone 4/4s bumper, iPad Air Smart Case, and the iPhone 5/5s leather case easily.

I was thinking about the "clean" issue last night. I don't know how easy the silicone cases would be to clean. I did notice that the white leather smartness for the Air 2 that was in the rack next to the Mini 4 cases didn't look as dirty as the silicone. I had one of the "British Tan" (light tan) smart cases for my Air 1 for over a year and it never showed any wear.

I also realized that for my purposes it's sort of academic because if I buy one of the silicone cases it'll be either the dark blue or the slate gray, and they COULDN'T show dirt. ;)

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Oct 6, 2014
So I have the 128 GB Mini 4 along with the new Smart Cover which is a hefty investment. I'm curious if you guys use the Silicone case for the back? I love the idea of protecting the back and the edges of the iPad since I have the silver color, however I also don't want the iPad to get too bulky. I actually like having two separate accessories since I can take off the smart cover if I want when I lie down on bed and use my iPad without having to fold it and it also doesn't hinder taking pictures of videos.

The silicone case is pretty expensive at $59. I'm also wondering if I should get the Apple one or wait for a third party silicone case which is exactly similar but much cheaper?

Thanks for bringing this up.

Now I know what the Silicone Case looks like for the iPad Pro.

I really wish they were launching a complete Smart Case for the iPad Pro, as I love the one that I've had on my iPad 4 since launch.

And for the record, I'd definitely get something to fully protect your iPad Mini.

I never have understood the logic behind protecting the front of an iPad with a Smart Cover, and leaving the back totally exposed?

PBMB

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2015
$59 just for a silicone back?! Seriously? With the smart cover at $39, that's $100 total. You can get double the storage in your Mini for that money, or buy dozens of great apps and music. I'm sorry, but that's a ripoff.

I bought a Moko case/cover for the Mini 4 on Amazon for $6, and it's surprisingly nice. Great feeling materials, looks good, fits perfectly, and the design actually protects the corners unlike some similar cases I've seen. Does all the tricks Apple's smart cases do, i.e. tri-fold cover works as stand with magnets holding the shape, smart open/close magnet, etc.

I can't believe people are paying $100 for a case & cover. o_O
Me neither. I also bought from Amazon for my new mini 4 this JETech model. It costs only 12€. Very nice and it fits perfectly. Accessories in Apple's world are the new Apple RAM.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

So, at least until the return period expires, I'm in. Bought dark blue case and cover. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Icaras

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I'm confident long after folks have thrown their "good deal" covers in the trash, I'll still have the Apple one. I bought many a cheap case and none of them held up as well as the Apple counterpart. But I understand you can buy a new one every year and still be well under the the total cost of Apple's. But don't be too quick to dismiss those that purchase the Apple pieces as "less than intelligent".
Stupid expensive? You bet. Seems Apple is getting greedier by the day. Bottom line, get what ya want and don't worry about what other people are spending.

Tapper123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
I'm confident long after folks have thrown their "good deal" covers in the trash, I'll still have the Apple one. I bought many a cheap case and none of them held up as well as the Apple counterpart. But I understand you can buy a new one every year and still be well under the the total cost of Apple's. But don't be too quick to dismiss those that purchase the Apple pieces as "less than intelligent".
Stupid expensive? You bet. Seems Apple is getting greedier by the day. Bottom line, get what ya want and don't worry about what other people are spending.

I have old iPad cases in my closet from 3rd parties that are still in perfect condition, long after the iPads they once protected are gone.

I'm sorry, but there is no logical reason to buy the overpriced Apple cases. Now, if it makes people feel happy to buy them, fine, go ahead. But pretending there's a logical basis for it is disingenuous.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I've had 5 iPads, the latest the Mini 4, bought Gel cases from EBay for the lot, saved $100s.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I've had 5 iPads, the latest the Mini 4, bought Gel cases from EBay for the lot, saved $100s.

I completely understand what you're saying. The other side of that is that the part of the iPad that most people touch most often is the case, not the screen. Personal choices...

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I completely understand what you're saying. The other side of that is that the part of the iPad that most people touch most often is the case, not the screen. Personal choices...
That's why I buy the Gel cases, no screen protectors, I've never had a mark on any of the screens, and when I sell them they are like new, probably better, because they've been run in.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I was thinking about the "clean" issue last night. I don't know how easy the silicone cases would be to clean. I did notice that the white leather smartness for the Air 2 that was in the rack next to the Mini 4 cases didn't look as dirty as the silicone. I had one of the "British Tan" (light tan) smart cases for my Air 1 for over a year and it never showed any wear.

I also realized that for my purposes it's sort of academic because if I buy one of the silicone cases it'll be either the dark blue or the slate gray, and they COULDN'T show dirt. ;)

So, at least until the return period expires, I'm in. Bought dark blue case and cover. :rolleyes:

I'm circling back here as a sort of mid-term review of the Apple silicone case and cover. Unfortunately, my verdict is "not very good - needs improvement." I bought the dark blue case and cover just under a month ago and have been using and carrying the Mini 4 daily since then.

On the negative side, I haven't been happy with the "stickiness" of the silicone material, especially on the case, which seems to be stickier than the cover. Dust and even grit seem to stick to the case - my Mini is my commuting iPad so it leads a very un-sheltered life. Beyond that, I'm not wild about how the silicone feels in my hands, though that's very personal and YMMV.

On the plus side, fit and function are perfect, as you'd expect. I put a BestSkinsEver skin on the back of the Mini to protect it from micro scratches from stuff that gets between the inside of the case and the back of the Mini (BTDT, doesn't help resale value) and the Apple case is so perfectly fitted that you could tell that there was a skin on the iPad. The case still fit fine, but it needed just a little more force to slip it over the edges.

I still wish that Apple had introduced a leather SmartCase for the Mini 4, but I guess that is not going to happen.

Bottom line: 2.5 starts out of 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.