Anyone use the switch off "background data"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMister111, Sep 26, 2014.

1. MrMister111, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I'm going from an unlimited data contract to a limited one, so willbhave to watch my data now more than I used to.

So does anyone use "background data" option on iPhones? I think it's meant to "speed up" the refresh of data so when you open an app, weather for example, the data is current - is this correct?

So what else does it use it for, good examples? Do people keep it enabled or not? Imagine it uses battery and data when maybe not needed.

Thanks

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Anyone use our switch off "background data"

I think it is unnecessary for most apps. It works like you described.

Some apps might need it, like when you use a map app with real time navigation with the screen locked. Google Maps asks for it for this purpose.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Anyone use our switch off "background data"

Ah didn't think of that! I've switched it off totally, rather than per app at moment but I do use my iPhone for Sat nav so it may limit this?

Actually just checked the sat nav I use isn't listed in the background app list anyway?? It's CoPilot

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Google Maps asks for it but if another app works without it then of course it's fine. So maybe you can just switch the whole thing off for all apps.