Anyone use the Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverick22, Sep 24, 2017.

1. maverick22 macrumors 6502

I am considering getting a sim free model with the Upgrade Program. Do you have to turn in your phone the first time (now I have a 7 plus)?

Is it a bad idea to use the UP? Seems like these things always sound good, then later you regret you went that route.

Thanks in advance!

2. Nate Dawg macrumors member

I joined yesterday. Was not even asked about turning in my phone. They would not give me a sim free model, but did note if I needed to change to a CDMA model in the future that I could.

3. unclefarkus macrumors member

You only turn in your phone when you upgrade. Since you’re not on the program yet, you don’t turn in your phone.

I did it last year when I got my 7 Plus and have made 12 payments. I mostly like it but it ya drawbacks.

1) the website for the loan is terrible. I’ve had to change my password so many times.

2) with the way phone releases now seem staggered, your 12 payments may not line up to the next release. Which equals a bad value potentially. Payoff for my phone is $500 right now. But if I wanted an X, I’d have to keep paying payments, and depending on how long the shipping gets delayed, I may be turning in a phone that is almost nearly paid off. Why give them a phone that I’ve paid 60-70% off at that point? Then who knows how next years release dates will work out... I may be behind!

3) credit checks are hard and lingering.

Honestly, if I could do it all over, I’d get a Barclays Card with 0% interest on Apple purchases over a certain amount and just make payments each month, sell my device when I’m ready to upgrade and pay off the balance with that money. Then start over.

4. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting they said you could change to CDMA if need be. That would be nice. I just got off chatting with Apple, and she didn't mention that option.

She also said you can't buy sim free through the uograde program. Doesn't make sense to me. As long as the bank gets their money back why would they care what carrier you're with. Using the Barclay card you can get sim free - what's the difference?

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Its because you have to do it through a carrier. The phone is unlocked from the get-go, but you must be part of a carrier to do IUP. But if you ever need to switch carriers, they offer the ability to swap phones to go to the new carrier.

6. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks for explaining