Anyone use there Ipad to watch Dish Network Satellite service?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fullergoku, Mar 10, 2011.

1. fullergoku macrumors newbie

Anyone use their Ipad to watch Dish Network Satellite tv over the 3G connection and how much data did it use?

2. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

If you have the service at home, you can do it with Slingbox, although I'm not sure if it works over 3g and I'm not sure how much data it uses (probably a lot).

3. fullergoku thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Dish Network at home now just need to update my 2 622vip dvr's to 2 722's hopefully and get a sling adapter. I'm just curious of the data usage for doing this how much am I looking at for running this type of thing occasionally?

4. Marine0621 macrumors member

Cant comment exactly on how much youd use but I would venture to guess that it would be a lot, and unless you have unlimted data you will most likely exceede your limit pretty quckily. I have Dish Network as well and am interested in upgrading my reciever in order to get the built in sling adapter and watch TV on the go however I will only have a wifi iPad and so would only be using it over wifi. I dont need a suprise $500 phone bill for data haha.

5. comptr macrumors 65816

I use both my iPad and my iPhone to watch dish. I just upgraded from a vip 622 to a vip 922 with sling built in. It works great. I would just skip getting a vip 722 and the sling adaptor and go for the vip 922. O and one more thing there is a slight lag when you fast forward or rewind as it takes a little time for it to do the command.

6. ibglowin macrumors regular

I have 2 722's and one is connected with the Sling adapter. It works great on the iPhone and iPad on 3G. It would use a boat load of data for sure so unless your are unlimited caveat emptor.

7. gmikesell macrumors regular

We have the 922 with the sling player and I friggin LOVE it! I use it everyday 2 hours a day to watch the morning news on my ipad2. It acted flakey the first couple days but haven't had a problem since. It's so handy to be able to have my morning news playing at the office and then taking it with me to the garage (where I smoke my pipe) and then the back patio so I can keep an eye on my kids while they play, etc. I can't imagine being without it now. FYI, 2hrs of viewing burns 15% of my battery on average.

Oh yeah, it works great over 3G too! I tried it (ATT) while using the hotspot on my iPhone.

8. gmikesell, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

gmikesell macrumors regular

I completely agree. We were able to upgrade from a 722 to a 922 using Dish's "Dish'n it up" promotion. It cost me about $200 and new 2 year contract but the upgraded interface and functions completely made it worth it to me.

9. ScoutDad macrumors member

I've been using it over my iphone 4 since dish offered the sling adapter ($99 and plugs into my vip-722 dvr) back in Nov. 2010 and it works pretty well over 3g. Seems to take a bit of time to start the streaming process, but once it figures out the speed/bandwidth of your connection it works great. This is not an issue however, when I'm on wi-fi. And like the other poster said, there is a lag between stopping/fast fwd/reverse/etc. As for amount of data used, I've never checked because I still have the unlimited plan.

Just received my wi-fi only iPad2 last nite :), so I'm anxious to try it out on that.