Anyone use Trillian?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MatthewLTL, May 18, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015

MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I have used Trillian IM on and off for YEARS since v0.78. Currently I use it on my Linux laptop (Trillian for Linux v2.0) and i was using it on my Macs until it no longer connects and they wont do a update for PPC.

Up until TFL came out I used Trillian via Wine. That stopped working sometime after Trillian 5.

Who here uses Trillian on either Windows Mac or Linux?

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Wow, nice to see Trillian is still around! I was using it waaay back when I was still on Windows 98.

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I used it on Windows ME...... and I have used it on Windows 98. I can still use the latest version on Windows 2000 natively (without the BWC modified Kernel) even though it states XP and newer.

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

And it's available for Mac, I had no idea. Well, I guess I know how I'll be spending my evening :)

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

If it's a PPC mac dont bother.... You need a Trillian account to use it (you have since version 4) its been on mac a few years and just came to Linux this year. You can make the account right in trillian.

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Mine is the 2012 Mac mini. And Trillian is available for Linux now, wow.. I just moved to OS X after spending 13 years on Linux.

Thank you for posting this thread :)

7. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

no problem! I have been waiting for Trillian on Linux FOREVER! I was one of the people to suggest they make one. I have been A avid Linux user on and off since 2005. I always find myself going back to it.

8. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Indeed, Linux is quite nice. I installed it on a spare box, used it for a few days, and then reinstalled it on my main box - wiping Windows 98 away. I hadn't used anything else until June of last year when I moved to OS X. I had used nothing but Windows most of my adult life, but Linux was responsible for teaching me how to create my own apps (Python and C/C++) as well as learning to build my own boxes. The learning curve was also much smaller coming to OS X from Linux.

I know it's off-topic, but which distros do you prefer? I started on Slackware and moved to Debian. I did some distro-hopping but I always seemed to come back to Debian.. though CentOS was pretty nice. I used Ubuntu for a bit, but I could never get used to their unity desktop, so moved to Mint afterward.

9. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I used Trillian as my primary IRC client on Mac and Windows for quite a while, and it's exceptionally good and clean interfaced. But I've actually moved on. I use Textual 5 for IRC now (far better in my opinion and it's on the Mac App Store)

10. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I upgraded to Textual 5 when it was on sale for $0.99. Excellent IRC client.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wow, that's definitely a name from the (distant) past.

Haven't heard that name since, oh, 2000 or so. Hard to believe it's still going.

12. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

i started my ways on linux on a Compaq Presario SR1303WM a friend of mine at school gave me a copy of RedHat Enterprise Linux: Fedora Core 3 after my computer crashed 15 days after buying it. that OS was the BEST os for that computer everything worked perfectly i used it for several months til the same friend gave me a *cough* "pirated" copy of Windows 2000..... ran that on the system til it died a year later. I used Xanderos Desktop 3 OCE on which by far was my most favourite Linux back in 2006-2007 ive even used SuSe Linux 9.1 professional ive used Ubuntu from 8.04 up til 12.04 until the Unity interface slowed even my C2D laptop down ive used Fedora 8 and 10 as well as OpenSuse 11 and even used CentOS for a small while i have settled on LinuxMint as it has all the media codecs, Flash player and DVD Playback all built in. I have used Lubuntu before too expecially on my eMac and my PowerMac.

Edit: I even used Mandriva Linux from version 2009 to about version 2011. When i heard of LinuxMint around 2012 i stuck with it testing out other distros (including DROID-x86) in between

13. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Nice Linux history there. Yeah, Linux Mint was definitely one of my favorites, and it seems to be quite popular even today. I liked it for the Mate edition because I never liked the look of gnome 3.

Good times.. :)

14. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I actually USE the MATE version of LinuxMint. I tried the Cinnimon Desktop but its too much for this poor C2D to handle and it preformed just as badly as Windows 7 did on it. MATE, since its a lighter weight GNOME 2 DE it runs better on the C2D when it comes to YouTube and HD Video.

15. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

If you need to go even lighter, you might try fluxbox or one of the other light window managers in place of a full DE. fvwm is also nice.

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I don't love Trillian, but I use it daily. No more aohell aim client, no more MS Messenger, and no more Yahoo client. When you've been talking to people using these services for 15 years or more, ya gotta use something, and Skype pretty much sucks as a chat client.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I haven't used it in over a decade, maybe even more because there were the little things I didn't like about it, that just made me go back to standalone AIM and MSN. Plus, MSN added its game arcade and my friend and I used to play rounds pretty much every weekend.

And of course, they didn't have a Mac client when I switched to OS X in 2006.

I use Textual 5 for IRC too. But I'm an email person these days.

19. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

No longer developed for PPC than again neither is Trillian However even the latest version of YIM works on PPC...

----------

the days of MSN Gaming Zone and mini games inside of MSN Messenger..... i miss those.....