Anyone use Wikipedia on their phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Apr 28, 2012.

1. TH55, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

TH55 macrumors 68030

Their mobile site is almost perfect, but have you noticed that recently they've disabled the "tap the status bar to scroll to the top instantly" feature that is present in every site on safari? Very annoying.

Also, when you click back page it takes you through every tab of that page you clicked on rather than actually going to the previous page. Also annoying!

2. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I don't think I've ever used the mobile site. I've always used Wapedia. I'm a fan

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I've used the mobile site occasionally. It seems to work fine. Does a good job given how much info there is, and how small a screen it has to work with.

4. thinkadam macrumors regular

I posted this the other day. Although once it happens on wikipedia it starts to happen on all other sites until you close safari.

5. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

I noticed that as well. Why would they disable the scroll to top?

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Same. Was thinking of posting this so Glad you did.

Annoying

7. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

That hasn't happened to me. Just Wikipedia. I hope it is a glitch though, very irritating. I hate when companies change something for the worse

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I use it, although it's so much nicer on my Samsung Galaxy Sky Rocket with it's larger display. Maybe someday Apple will catch up.

9. BiggAW macrumors 68020

It's got to be a glitch. The Wikipedia foundation is the last organization that would try and lock down what your browser can do.

10. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I use wikipedia in safari on my iPhone all the time, and I'm constantly looking things up. I noticed that Safari wouldn't scroll to the top of the page as well, and at first i thought something was wrong with my iPhone, and then I realized it was only happening in Safari, but it hadn't occurred to me that it was only on Wikipedia.

12. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

YES! Although I'm not sure if its a bug or something they did on purpose. But anyway, I've switched to Opera Mini for 80% of my browsing needs, which does have the 'back to the top' button

13. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

14. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I use wikipanion also. Much better and easier to use then the browser version and I'm pretty sure the app is free not sure though.

15. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Yes I did notice that you can no longer tap the status bar to go to the top of the page! It's annoying. Especially when you are at the bottom of a very long page and you have to scroll all the way to the top! Still. The mobile version is very good.

16. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

17. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Has anyone used their new mobile site? It's terrible! Now rather than the visually appealing layout of before they replaced the tabs with arrows and made them less distinguishable. Why do these companies that have humongous followings and near universal customer satisfaction continue to fix things that aren't broken??? Google is the worst with this, but Wikipedia is catching up

18. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Wikipanion FTW! :) Been with this one since the beginning. Perfectly formated for the screen. :thumbup:

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I tried wikipanion its not as efficient. On Wikipedia mobile the tabs are all right there, wikipanion u have to open a menu plus it's slower than safari