Anyone Used Apples Collect & Return Repair In UK

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thepominlaw, Jan 26, 2013.

1. thepominlaw macrumors member

iMac (late 2009) been playing up a bit lately, mouse clicks failing to work either by Magic Mouse or USB version. A pram and smc reset fixes but really annoying. Plus the screen has dark blotches and marks at the top. Cut long story short apple are sending someone out to collect and repair machine and replace screen at the same time. Just wondering if anyone has used service.

If so what advice would you give I have a time machine backup is that enough or should I take my personal docs off the mac?

2. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

Yeah i have used it and i can't fault it!

My collection was arranged and i think the service was called spot collection by TNT which meant it was collected by dedicated van and taken straight to the nearest Apple Store which meant my iMac was in the store within an hour and it was the same with the return of the iMac.

I did a time machine backup and left all my documents on the iMac but made sure they were protected with a password then just enabled the guest user account in users & groups which gave them enough access to identify my issue.

HTH

3. thepominlaw thread starter macrumors member

Had a call from them today, they wanted to come and collect it today! Put them off for a week as I am not around much.

Must admit I am quite apprehensive about letting it go.....especially as they are taking it over 100 miles away to london. They wanted the password to my account :eek: which is mildly concerning. I am considering taking all my information off it before i return it.

Really not sure what to do, i want it fixed but i have read many horror stories about damage, i want my mac to remain pristine.

4. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

I dont understand what the issue is here, you want the imac repaired but youre scared it may get damaged or all of your personal data copied for some nigerian crime lord to use it to buy guns??

Back up your data and reinstall the OS, that way they'll have nothing to look at other than the imac.

If it gets damaged by either Apple or the courier you'll be able to claim either way for a replacement.