Anyone used Things for the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bcburrows, May 5, 2009.

1. bcburrows, May 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010

bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Anyone used 'things' for the Mac
    How have you found it?

I am essentially just wanting something to help me organise my busy life.

Cheers

Oh and if anyone has used papers, I would love to hear how you have found that.

2. pixiedusted macrumors newbie

I tried the beta version, but ended up buying The Hit List from Potion Factory (it's still in Beta)

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I looked at Things and others, ended up with OmniFocus, both on the desktop and iPhone.

I just liked that best, and felt it was worth the extra $$.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I use The Hit List as well. It does everything I need and that perfectly. It will be available for the iPhone soon - if that is a matter.

5. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I use Things, it makes a good to-do list, I'm not sure I really use the more advanced features....

6. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

Same here. OmniFocus was/is a better fit for my particular style of GTD. I just couldn't get used to tags in Things.

7. amabo macrumors member

The company for things, Cultured Code, doesn't contact their customers whatsoever and isn't worth your money. Do not buy Things.

Personally, I love Appigo's ToDo. Syncs with Toodledo, RTM, or iCal.

8. MarkJohnson macrumors newbie

I've been using Things for about a month, and I love it. I find that Things stays out of the way and helps me interact directly with my actions, projects, and contexts without too much interference. I was able to start using Things right away, there's not much of a learning curve. Things provides exactly what I need in a GTD application.

9. tongteh macrumors 6502

i am using the hit list, i like it, seems to do what i want it to do.. :) actively waiting for the iphone version...

10. reubs macrumors 68000

(Sorry for the bump, but this is a difficult topic to search for, and I was looking for some info abt it.)

I've been using Things for a few months now, and it does what I need it to do. I like how easily it seems to integrate into the ToDos in Mail, and I also like how easily I can link a particular e mail to a particular task. The iPhone app is great, but I wish it did cloud syncing since I actually only have an iPod touch that I don't always remember to sync...

The sections for Areas and Projects are also nice for keeping a clean inbox and really being able to visualize the work that needs to be done. I'm not sure I'm fully utilizing the power of it right now, but I don't find it to be lacking anything, either.

I don't have it completely set up across the board with Mail and iCal, but it fits pretty well into the workflow I've established. I need to streamline a few more things (find out if some areas need to be consolidated or if they work on their own), but overall Things seems to work pretty well for me.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

My wife uses things on both her mac and the app for iPod touch. She loves it. It sycs through wifi automatically anytime the two are connected in the same location.

ONe thing my wife likes about the organization part is that you can have several projects each with multiple steps. She can select the next button and view the next item to be done on each project.

12. jms969 macrumors 6502

Sorry for the bump...

Also looking for a decent task manager, but $50 for things and $10 for the iphone app is just ridiculous...

Any other suggestions???

PS. I have stopped using Outlook 2011 until they get the sync issues fixed grrrr

13. DTF macrumors member

TheHitList looks interesting but it hasn't really been worked on for almost a year now. And it's been well over a year since they started talking about having an iPhone app. Not sure I'd throw money at someone who's isn't really doing much with their product.

14. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I used to use iGTD, but that has an odd syncing problem now and the developer left to work on Things.

I started using Things on a trial basis about a week ago. Overall I like it, but I'll probably trial OmniFocus too. It appears to be a little more GTD aware, which I like as an organizing principle.

Still a little floored that these Apps cost so much for what they do. Basically they are a GUI for the post-it and pen scribbles I can't keep track of!

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

$50 is quite a bit, but at the same time, it just works. What else are you willing to pay for that "just works!" It is a great program- my wife still loves it and it syncs perfectly.

16. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I've been looking at all of these recently as a replacement for MS Project. Anyone have any experience with them in this method?