Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
Hi, Silly Saturday question.... I was cleaning up my office and found CD's with software that came with my camera. Anyone of you use the software that comes with your cam? I alsways hookup to computer and organize in iPhoto. Am I missing something? Happy weekend

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Nah, the programs that come cameras are usually horrid. I stick with iPhoto and image capture and gimp.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I use image browser. I want to switch to iphoto, but i don't want to have to copy them into iphoto then delete the originals. I guess I am just lazy.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hoef said:
Hi, Silly Saturday question.... I was cleaning up my office and found CD's with software that came with my camera. Anyone of you use the software that comes with your cam? I alsways hookup to computer and organize in iPhoto. Am I missing something? Happy weekend

Depends on the camera. My Nikon D50 came with a trial version of Nikon Capture. It is arguably the best raw converter. I've used it but I'm not decided yet.

The software that came with my Canon A80 has one of the best panoramma sitchers I've used bt I moved to PS now

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Nope, not me. I've always used iPhoto with the digital cameras I've owned over the past few years. For me, it's one of the attractions of using a Mac – I don't need to go installing extra software or drivers on my machine... I plug it in and It Just Works. :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Hoef said:

No. Many years ago when I bought a Coolpix, I installed "Nikon View" in the computer (a Win 98 machine, this was a while back) and things went wacko. I decided that while Nikon may make great glass and wonderful cameras, software is not their forte. I had to uninstall and do a lot of tinkering to get my computer back to normal after that fiasco. Now Nikon provides "Picture Perfect" or some kind of software with their cameras; I' not even sure of the name as I didn't even bother looking at the CD when I opened the box with my D200. Nikon Capture is their additional software, and that comes at a price, an additional $100. I have heard conflicting comments about Nikon Capture and so prefer not to use it.

Way back when, lo these many moons ago I began using a CF card reader to get all my images off the card and into the computer. Essentially it acts as another drive and works flawlessly and quickly. I always use a card reader rather than the camera connected to the computer via cable. I figure if something goes flooie I'd rather replace a trashed CF card or CF card reader than an expensive camera!

Now I use the CF card reader to copy into the "Pictures" folder, setting up a new subfolder, and then I copy again, this time into Aperture. I work with my images in Aperture and Photoshop CS 2, I don't use iPhoto, even though there have been some improvements in iPhoto's most current version. Just my personal preferences and workflow...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If your camera came with a relatively recent Photoshop Elements, that's worth installing (PSE3 or 4, but not PSE1 or 2). Otherwise, I'd also say PASS. I installed the Canon software once just to use the thing that lets you use the computer screen as a live display (you can set the cam up on a tripod or something and then see more or less what you'd see on the display LCD on your computer screen). But it was mostly a novelty for me.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
mkrishnan said:
If your camera came with a relatively recent Photoshop Elements, that's worth installing (PSE3 or 4, but not PSE1 or 2). Otherwise, I'd also say PASS. I installed the Canon software once just to use the thing that lets you use the computer screen as a live display (you can set the cam up on a tripod or something and then see more or less what you'd see on the display LCD on your computer screen). But it was mostly a novelty for me.

I've seen scanners come with PSE (various versions) but never a camera. Yes, PSE 3 or 4 would definitely be worth installing, as it's a light version of Photoshop. It's made by Adobe and is more likely to work out well for the user than some of the software provided by camera manufacturers.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Clix Pix said:
I've seen scanners come with PSE (various versions) but never a camera. Yes, PSE 3 or 4 would definitely be worth installing, as it's a light version of Photoshop. It's made by Adobe and is more likely to work out well for the user than some of the software provided by camera manufacturers.

I think some of the Canons do. My 300D came with a copy of Photoshop Elements, albeit version 2 (which is strange, because, although I purchased it used, I am almost certain it was originally purchased some time after PSE3 came out). I just checked my PowerShot box, though, and it didn't come with PSE.

You have a 30D or something like that, don't you? I take it that it did not come with Photoshop Elements?

P.S. I therefore have a copy of PSE2 that I'd pretty much give away. ;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
mkrishnan said:
I think some of the Canons do. My 300D came with a copy of Photoshop Elements, albeit version 2 (which is strange, because, although I purchased it used, I am almost certain it was originally purchased some time after PSE3 came out). I just checked my PowerShot box, though, and it didn't come with PSE.

You have a 30D or something like that, don't you? I take it that it did not come with Photoshop Elements?

P.S. I therefore have a copy of PSE2 that I'd pretty much give away. ;)

Me? No, I'm a Nikon shooter and I have the D200. Prior to that I used the D70 and D70s. None of them came with PSE, but a scanner that I bought a few years ago did, that's what prompted my comment. If I remember correctly the version of PSE that came with the scanner was not the most current version; I think it's fairly standard for manufacturers to bundle slightly older (cheaper) software with their hardware than the newest thing available. Nikon gives you "Picture Perfect" or something like that plus a trial version of Nikon Capture (which is another $100 if the user wants to have the program). I'm perfectly happy with Aperture and CS2, no need for anything else....

I, too, have an old copy of PSE2 that I used until I finally took the quantum leap into Photoshop CS a couple of years ago; from there it was a fairly inexpensive upgrade to move into CS2 when that became available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.