Anyone using a bumper/skin combo on their iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lrfox, Oct 16, 2012.

1. lrfox macrumors member

I'm considering this as an option, but I'm not even sure it'll work. I want a look to be similar to the case mate artistry woods case (here's a link in case you don't know what it is). The problem with that case is that the sides are actually metallic looking plastic, not real aluminum. The case is also VERY thick and there are numerous complaints that the buttons are too hard to reach.

I'm thinking of getting a wooden skin (love the Olive Ash Burl from Carved) for just the back of the phone and an aluminum bumper for the sides (like this one).

Anyone try this or something similar? I'm concerned that the bumper won't fit with the skin on and vice versa. For similar (less in many cases) money I can create a more customized look assuming that both will fit. I've never used bumpers or skins before so I'm not sure what to expect.

*note*
    I'm not concerned with losing a bar or two with an aluminum bumper. I rarely ever have any issues with signal.

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Not yet, but I plan on it as soon as Element releases a Vapor Comp or Vapor Pro for the 5. I used those + a variety of skins on my 4 and 4S and loved that look (and never noticed any effect on signal due to the polymer inserts.)

Shoot, if CasesWill or someone comes out with their Vapor clones soon, I may go that route as well. I had 3 authentic Vapor Comps and several knockoffs and honestly, there's not a lot of difference there (and you can afford multiple colors with the knockoffs :) ).

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Same here, waiting for a Vapor Comp. May go with the Draco 5 if Element is taking too long and the Draco 5 doesnt affect signal.

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Post back with your impressions, if you don't mind, if you end up going with the Draco. I'm curious about that one as well.

5. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

I'm using the Monoprice bumper with some ebay protectors.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Will do. A bunch of us are waiting on someone who already ordered, i'm not willing to be a $100 guinnie pig :eek:

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Ha ha ha, no joke! I wish Element would get with it and crank out the Vapors already...I like the color variety available with them, though that red Draco looks pretty damned nice as well.

8. lrfox thread starter macrumors member

The element cases are gorgeous and I'm incredibly impulsive. It's probably fro the better (in my cases) that I can't shell out $100+ for one right now.

9. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

this is my phone, bodyguards carbon fiber skin with a Poetic bumper.

[​IMG]

10. raptorstv macrumors 6502

looks kinda ugly man..

11. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I use a bestskinsever skin on my iPhone 5 with an ebay bumper (metallic buttons).

12. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

says the guy with the ghost armor carbon skin. They're the same thing dude, glad to know you have an ugly phone too.