Anyone using a Dual-Link DVI adapter with their Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ggabriele3, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ggabriele3 macrumors member

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Catleap monitor as a second screen for work. At 2560x1440, they require a dual-link DVI adapter.

Apple sells a Mini Displayport --> Dual Link DVI adapter for $100.
    Monoprice and others sell the same adapter for about $65 or less.

The reviews on amazon are all over the place for both the Apple and 3rd party adapters.

Is anyone running a similar setup? Any problems/recommendations?

2. ewwhite macrumors newbie

I bought one today and will know tomorrow if the MBP Retina and the 30-inch display will work with the Dual-Link DVI adapter.

3. ewwhite macrumors newbie

4. ggabriele3 thread starter macrumors member

you're using the Monoprice adapter?

5. ewwhite macrumors newbie

No, I walked over to the Apple Store and bought their adapter. Make sure they sell you an adapter with firmware version 1.0.3.

6. jlin615 macrumors regular

I'm using the the apple dual-link adapter with rMBP. It works. Time to time, I get statics on black areas. But it happens with my Mac Mini too.

7. Fatt macrumors member

I have no experience with the dual link adapter, but I do have a Crossover 27Q monitor, which uses the same panel as the catleaps. I've had it for about 6 months now, and am EXTREMELY pleased with it. I personally prefer the build quality of the Crossovers over the catleap and other korean monitors. They cost a bit more, but I would highly recommend you check out the Crossovers. Some sellers even provide a proper 110v power brick with the Crossover, not sure about the other brands they may be doing the same now as well though. I will be picking up another two sometime in the future.

8. ngianos macrumors newbie

I haven't been able to get my Crossover 27Q to work with my mac mini 2012 or macbook air 2011 using the apple minidisplayport to dual link dvi cable and a dual link dvi cable to the monitor. I've tried two different apple cables. The monitor just flashes on and off and I can see the desktop when the monitor flashes on. Any ideas what the issue might be?

9. apparition47 macrumors newbie

Just ordered a dual link DVI adapter (startech) to connect my rMBP to my shimian qh270 27". Should be good. I decided against getting the Apple adapter since I've heard about a lot of issues with getting a proper display.

10. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have many of the Apple adapters, some older, some newer. Occasionally, the old ones go on the fritz, for me that usually means a weird kind of interlacing which makes the whole monitor fuzzy. Quickly pull the cable out and put it back in and all is better, happens maybe twice a week.

If you can, in would try to get panels with a displayport and skip all of the adapter business.

It is very nice to be able to natively run three monitors from a laptop, including two 30"s. That ability made the rmbp a true desktop replacement for me. Now I am greedy and hoping for three TB/MDP ports on future versions.

11. bleepjay macrumors member

@ngianos - Did you ever get this working? I've got a Crossover 27QD hooked up to the mini displayport to dual link dvi (apple) cable, but it is doing the same thing. I can't find a solution yet. I am pulling my hair out trying to get this to work

12. bleepjay macrumors member

anyone??? I am pulling my hair out here to get this display to work.

The display works fine using bootcamp, but does not work (turns on and off) under osx

13. n8236 macrumors 65816

Since about 8 months ago, I purchased a Catleap Q270 (i think) for my MBPr and like it a lot. I purchased the dual-DVI from Apple because I read the non-Apple ones have issues.

However, I have to constantly zoom in on nearly everything I do since the pixels are so dense. My biggest caveat is, from time to time, the monitor fizzles out, blurs out, turns black, streaks of colors run down the screen or gets snow (like a poor reception tv channel). By turning the monitor off for a few seconds and turning it back on, fixes it. I think it has do w/ the power adapter it comes with.

But for $300, I can't complain.