Anyone using a dual monitor setup with your Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kendo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I currently have a dual monitor setup with a Windows laptop and decided to utilize the Macbook as my main computer. Two "quibbles" remain which are just annoying enough for me to keep my Windows laptop as the main dual monitor setup, and use my MacBook as a portable standalone computer.

1) When rotating the external monitor between portrait and landscape mode, it takes an awfully long amount of time (4 seconds vs 1 second). Yes 4 seconds is not a long time, but when it is 4 times longer than what I am used to, it does seem like an eternity. Is there a reason why the screen goes blank and I have to wait a few seconds when my Windows laptop can rotate the external monitor in a second?

2) If I am viewing two webpages side by side (one on the Mac and one on the external monitor), it is frustrating that the menu bar is only on the Mac. Is there a way to have the menu bar on the external monitor? This is particularly annoying when I am viewing a webpage on my left external monitor, go to access my bookmarks, and have to travel all the way to the right screen to get to the bookmarks bar.

Yes these are relatively minor nuances but it does bother me enough where I don't want to use my Mac as my main dual monitor setup. If anyone can offer some fixes? Thanks for your help!

2. Doju macrumors 68000

Not sure about the first one, but for the second go under System Preferences > Displays and drag the menu bar from the laptop to the display.

3. DockMac macrumors regular

For your windows machine, do you mean you have dual monitors coming out of your laptop, or dual monitors including the laptop? If the former, what kind of laptop do you have?

4. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out!

Dual monitors including the laptop.