Anyone using a Mac Pro with a "Drobo" ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jb60606, Feb 27, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I was thinking of picking up a Data Robotics DROBO, instead of a TimeCapsule.

According to an Apple rep, removing the hard drive of a TC voids the warranty. If the hard drive dies there is no chance in hell that I'm going to send it back to Apple; being fresh off an attempted identity theft and all.

Has Anyone used one before, specifically with Time Machine? Your opinion?

The one major flaw, IMO, is that it's only offered in USB. And, of course, it's expensive at $500 without any hard drives. But it's on-the-fly expansion is impressive.

2. onomatopoeia macrumors 6502

onomatopoeia

Drobo is a pretty cool device. I wish the "Droboshare" accessory turned it into a "real" NAS though.

I'll get one eventually...I was sort of hoping the success of the thing would drive the price down. $500 is a lot for a USB storage device without drives. Even one as smart as Drobo.

3. JrdBeau macrumors member

Nice box. I like that it can be used with Time Machine.

I've been using a Synology CS407 for the last 6 months and really like it. Unfortunately, it isn't supported yet via Time Machine. I'm hoping this changes soon.

4. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

unfortunately, if you use Drobo with the Droboshare add-on, it won't work with TM. The external drive must be locally attached via firewire/USB.

However, if you attach the drive locally, you can use SMB to share it over the network.

5. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I use the Drobo for Time Machine and it works great. There is one problem (that Drobo is working on a fix for) and that is if you have the Drobo connected when you boot up you will not get past the grey screen. Unplugging the USB cable allows you to boot up okay. Drobo say that they have a revised software update due out this month.
    I have used external RAID drives before but the Drobo system is a refreshing change. With RAID you have to use the same size drives and to increase the capacity you have to start from scratch. I have two 250GB drives installed and as my needs change I can add drives of any capacity.
    Well worth the price. I don't think you can use the DROBOshare with Time Machine right now as Apple does not support NAS. This may change.
    Alan