Anyone using a Mi-Fi with iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by agkm800, Oct 20, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Anyone using a Mi-Fi with iPod Touch and have wi-fi connection 24/7? Can you share your experience?

I wonder if I can replace my cell phone with Mi-Fi + iPod Touch + Skype/Vonage/Truphone...

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's a good thought. Certainly much cheaper than having an iPhone, if you can live with it. I saw it mentioned on here the other week, something I was looking at doing.

But how does the MiFi work, exactly? There is a 5GB cap on 3G mobile broadband plans right now. Sprint has 4G unlimited, but that's only in a few places right now.

Or does it not count towards the limit because it's technically WiFi? A mobile WiFi at that.

3. iflyer macrumors newbie

It does count toward your 5g cap but works fine. The cradlepoint mobile wireless router works great too and you can use any manufacturer of wireless card with it.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

oh man, i could use this with the Virgin modem huh?

I need the money for the devices though...... ugh.

5. darthkarl macrumors newbie

darthkarl

I use my Verzion MiFi with my iPod Touch all the time. Works perfectly and makes my touch so much more useful, it's one of the best gadgets I have ever bought.

6. Xander212 macrumors newbie

Called Verizon today about using Myfi with my iPod touch. I want the freedom to take both with me and create my own hot spot where ever I go. Was told that this is impossible...that Verizon has to upload software to the device that uses the Myfi....that Verizon cannot upload this software to the touch. It can upload this software to laptop or desktop computer and the touch can share the signal. But to put my iPod touch in one pocket and the Myfi in another and be online wherever I traveled can't be done without shlepping a computer along for the ride. Was very disappointed that Verizon has no plans for creating an iTune app for Myfi.

7. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

If you must carry your laptop with your Mi-Fi card all the time, what's the point? Call Verizon again or call Sprint. I think the Verizon guy you talked to didn't know what he was talking about. I am sure you can carry Mi-Fi card without a laptop and you'll have wi-fi hot spot everywhere you go.

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

if i recall, initial set up requires a computer, but after that.... you are good to go.

And no offense to whomever you talked to, but they are.... wrong.

Have they read their own page on the product??? Doubt it.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_mifi

Perhaps you should call back and suggest they watch their own elearning video.

http://learning.verizonwireless.com/learning/MiFi2200/index.html

:D

The last Verizon sales rep spoke with couldn't have sold water to a fish.

9. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I had a Sprint MiFi and I loved it. I worked everywhere in San Francisco, even underground trains.

10. Xander212 macrumors newbie

Thanks guys....the person who told me the Myfi can't be used only with the touch wasn't sales staff...he was part of their Data Support team...now that is frightening. I was given this info in a phone call so I don't know who this clown really was but if he is a member of Data Support then Verizon Wireless has a problem. I went to my local Verizon store this evening and of course you guys were spot on saying that the Myfi can be used in one pocket with the iPod touch in the other...
    My only problem now is I really can't afford more than doubling my bill to turn the touch into an active computer. If I were to purchase one of their smart phones and use it the monthly rate would be less because they are pushing their phones. The monthly rate is the REAL cost and $40-$60 added to my bill is just impossible. So, I'll have to end my quest here since creating a hot spot for my touch is purely for my own enjoyment and not a business expense. This has nothing to do with this subject so I'll stop here. But wireless expenses controlled by these cartels is insurmountable for many of us.
    Perhaps this should be a subject for this forum. The touch is merely a pda without being connected to the net. Once connected it's quite an amazing computer but the expense of assuring it's always on line while out and about is too much for many to consider.