Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Gurus,

I'm running this year's London Marathon and my training runs are now getting longer.

Sunday just gone for example, I did an 11 mile run whilst listening to Spotify (offline playlist) and using the Runkeeper app to track my progress.

I got back to the top of our road yesterday, pulled my phone out to stop Runkeeper and log the run and it literally switched off in my hand due to being flat.

Fortunately for me, the app had, a couple of moments before, just logged my 18th kilometer, so I had that preserved, but it made me realise that the charge time I get out of my i5 is not going to be sufficient.

I'm looking at a Juice Pack Air and if I've understood correctly, you put the phone in and charge the case and the phone via the Micro USB port on the bottom.

You then manually switch the case off using a switch on the rear, so that the iPhone uses it's own battery and when you get low, you flick the switch on the rear of the case and the display then shows as "Charging" and will recharge up to 95% or so?

That being said, I wondered if anyone here uses one and can shed some real world experiences using it?

I think it could well be perfect for my training runs and ultimately my marathon run in April (although I expect that to take me 6 to 7 hours! :eek: )

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Anyone using a Mophie Juice Pack Air with their iPhone 5?

This one will give you an extra full charge and it have more value for the $ IMO.
uNu Power DX External Protective Battery Case for iPhone 5s / iPhone 5 - MFI Apple Certified (Matte Black, Fits All Models iPhone 5S & iPhone 5)
http://amzn.com/B00B1UQBGA
I have it and it gave me 120% extra on my iPhone 5. I think you will like it better than the mophie.

Last edited:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
This one will give you an extra full charge and it have more value for the $ IMO.
uNu Power DX External Protective Battery Case for iPhone 5s / iPhone 5 - MFI Apple Certified (Matte Black, Fits All Models iPhone 5S & iPhone 5)
http://amzn.com/B00B1UQBGA
I have it and it gave me 120% extra on my iPhone 5. I think you will like it better than the mophie.

Thanks, it doesn't look like Amazon UK stock the white version though.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Thanks, it doesn't look like Amazon UK stock the white version though.

Oh you are in the uk.
I recommend this then:
MFI Apple Certified - ibattz Mojo Refuel Removable Battery Case for iPhone 5/5S - BLACK - 100% Additional Battery Life (2200mAh) by ibattz http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DCYUEBQ/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_xjV3sb1KW43MT
And getting this with it:
Anker® 2200mAh Li-ion Battery For Samsung Galaxy S3 S III, GT-I9300, with NFC/Google Wallet [18-Month Warranty] by Anker http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008AGA6PK/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_WkV3sb1WW4SCE

The battery case has a replaceable battery. I have it as well and it works great!

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Oh you are in the uk.
I recommend this then:
MFI Apple Certified - ibattz Mojo Refuel Removable Battery Case for iPhone 5/5S - BLACK - 100% Additional Battery Life (2200mAh) by ibattz http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DCYUEBQ/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_xjV3sb1KW43MT
And getting this with it:
Anker® 2200mAh Li-ion Battery For Samsung Galaxy S3 S III, GT-I9300, with NFC/Google Wallet [18-Month Warranty] by Anker http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008AGA6PK/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_WkV3sb1WW4SCE

The battery case has a replaceable battery. I have it as well and it works great!

That looks absolutely superb, it's just a shame they don't sell a white one.

But thank you, I'll have a nose around and see if I can find an alternative supplier.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I have a Juice Pack Air I use on my 5S. On average it will charge my phone from 20% to about 85/90%. If you use it to charge your phone while running a battery-intensive app such as a GPS running app, I would think in the 90 minutes or so it takes to fully discharge into your phone, in total you might see your battery % go up by 40 - 50% by the end (i.e. From say 20% to 60/70% after 90 minutes).

Some other observations about the Juice Pack Air:
1) it adds about 1/2 an inch to the length of the phone. This can be a hassle if you're trying to fit it in your trouser pocket, if the pocket is shallow.
2) The case is REALLY slippery. I have dropped it a couple of times (thankfully onto carpet) because of this. It is a hardened case so your phone is unlikely to be damaged, but you do have to grip it tight. The rounded edges don't help in this regard. If you are running I expect it will be in a pocket of some sort, so not such an issue.

Last edited:

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I own both a Juice Pack Helium & Air. I love them both. The Helium feels slimmer in the hand, but I like the covered buttons of the Air. Charge time really varies depending on how you're using your phone.

The Mophie has yet to let me down in my time of need. I would much prefer to spend the extra money on a Mophie over a shady unknown company. Not to mention I absolutely love the look of the Mophie cases.

I do a lot of biking in the summer, and I'm using Cyclemeter to track my rides. It's definitely a battery killer, considering I'm on the bike for 4-5 hours. My Mophie cases save me, and it's definitely been worth the money.

It does add a bit of size, but if you take into account what the case actually does, it's well worth the added bulk. You also get use to the extra size in just a few days.

I would highly recommend a Mophie case.

amitkalra

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
My Iphone 5S will just not go into my Mophie Juice Pack Air for Iphone 5

I just bought a New Mophie Juice Pack Air for Iphone 5 off Ebay last week.
I tried to insert my Iphone 5S into this but strangely there are 2 extensions at the bottom of the bigger piece of the case which make it impossible for the Iphone 5S to slide in.
I watched a lot of Youtube Videos for the same Mophie Juice pack air for Iphone 5. Those don't seem to have these 2 plastic extensions at the bottom of the bigger part of the case.
The design of the one I have got seems different to those although it clearly states on the sticker that it is for Iphone 5.
I am really confused and can't make out what im doing wrong.
Does anybody have any idea about this.
I am attaching pictures .

Attachments

• Mophie1.jpg
    Mophie1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 747
  • Mophie2.jpg
    Mophie2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Mophie3.jpg
    Mophie3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 852
  • Mophie4.jpg
    Mophie4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 348
  • Mophie5.jpg
    Mophie5.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I just bought a New Mophie Juice Pack Air for Iphone 5 off Ebay last week.

I tried to insert my Iphone 5S into this but strangely there are 2 extensions at the bottom of the bigger piece of the case which make it impossible for the Iphone 5S to slide in.

I watched a lot of Youtube Videos and the same Mophie Juice pack air for Iphone 5 cases in those don't seem to have these 2 plastic extensions at the bottom of the bigger part of the case.

The design of the one I have got seems different to those although it clearly states on the sticker that it is for Iphone 5.

I am really confused and can't make out what im doing wrong.

Do you have any idea about this.

I am attaching pictures .

If it is new, may I see the front of the box?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Here is the front cover. The top flap can be flapped over to see the cover through the transparent packing.
To open we slide out from the bottom.

Yes that is fake. If you search google, you will easily notice that all mophie boxes for the iPhone 5 juice pm pack air have the case shown by a transparent cover. Yours has a flap covering that. How much did you spend on it?

amitkalra

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Yes that is fake. If you search google, you will easily notice that all mophie boxes for the iPhone 5 juice pm pack air have the case shown by a transparent cover. Yours has a flap covering that. How much did you spend on it?

Thanks Man, It seems A lesson learnt for $ 40
The packing looks really authentic if it is a fake. It even had an Australian Warranty Card, The Cable, 3.5mm extension and Manual under it. It even has Bar Coded Serial No on the box and the sticker on the cover.
I wonder if it is a replica of the Australian edition.
Anyways they did a good job of faking the packing, but a really bad job in not copying the design of the cover itself.
I just dont know what to do with it now.

Here are some more pictures to warn other buyers to restrain from buying on Ebay. I didnt even know that there are fakes of cases now.

Attachments

• Mophie10.jpg
    Mophie10.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Mophie11.jpg
    Mophie11.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Mophie15.jpg
    Mophie15.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Mophie12.jpg
    Mophie12.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Mophie14.jpg
    Mophie14.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 142
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.