Anyone using a Pay-As-You-Go iPhone 3G?...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rockstar816, May 2, 2010.

1. Rockstar816 macrumors newbie

Rockstar816

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm new so sorry if it's an old question... So I heard you can put the iPhone 3G and 3GS on Prepaid or Pay-As-You-Go for AT&T. And I just won a 3G on eBay and bought a Prepaid SIM also and I'm waiting for them to arrive. So I wanted to know if anyone is using it on prepaid as well? And if it works. Like, as of today.
    Also, I heard you have to provide an IMEI number when you activate the SIM... So can I buy a Nokia 2320 which is a prepaid AT&T phone and use that IMEI number to activate the SIM and then insert the SIM in the iPhone? Please answer all questions. Thank you guys!

2. cowsrus macrumors 6502

when using an iPhone on AT&T, they know you are on an iPhone in no more than 20min, and slap an iPhone data plan on you accordingly

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, all you need is the IMEI number to activate a new GoPhone account. Just place the activated sim in the iPhone and you are good to go. AT&T will not force a data plan on prepaid accounts.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can use a prepaid plan; it's just the cellular data won't work (even if you pay for it)—well unless you jailbreak it.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It won't work by default on a 3G or 3GS iPhone. It will work if you upload a custom APN to the iPhone.

6. Dead Panda macrumors member

I'm using my iPhone 3G on pre-paid. It works really well. Make sure you call and put a data block on it though.

I'm sure someone will ask me "What's the point of having an iPhone without data? Just get an iPod touch instead!"

Well, then I'd have to cary two devices with me, plus I love to text and the iPhone has been the easiest device to text on. I also use the iPod on it everyday.

I don't need the internet everywhere I go. I'd rather just enjoy life, have a cheaper bill at the end of the month and not worry about trying to justify having to use my phone to get my money's worth out of it. I'm not a huge talker on the phone either, so having the default 450 minutes was overkill for me. Now I have 200 minutes and unlimited texts. It worked out great.