Anyone using a RAM disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by QuantumLo0p, Apr 13, 2009.

1. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I was wondering if anyone has experience using RAM disk such as the Hyperdrive5 or ANS-9010?

How about a raid0 configuration?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

real RAM disk should be made from real RAM and not additional disks, connected to a slower bus.

If you have enough RAM installed on the system (i have 20GB), you can use the terminal to create a RAM disk in memory without using addition devices. Using those commands, you will create a 50Mb RAM Disk

Type the following exactly in the Terminal

(the represents a return carrage and is not to be typed):

Code:
    hdid -nomount ram://52428800 ↵
    newfs_hfs /dev/disk1 ↵
    mkdir /tmp/ramdisk1 ↵
    mount -t hfs /dev/disk1 /tmp/ramdisk1↵
    to ditch the RAM disk and unmount it, just type
    Code:
    hdiutil detach /dev/disk1 ↵

3. sboerup macrumors 6502

Since I have 16GB in my MP, I use 2GB for FF cache and to extend a little for Photoshop.

Putting the Firefox cache on it makes a world of difference. Really.

4. QuantumLo0p thread starter macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Thanks for the tip! I am currently using an old (early 2005 dual 2.7) and I think it only supports 8 GB of RAM. I was thinking of having a bit more space than that but I will definitely keep your notes handy. It would be faster than either of two options I mentioned in the OP.

The ANS-9010 has 2 sata connections that can be configured in raid0 and has eight slots that can handle up to 64GB total, although it would be pricey to populate it with 8GB sticks of ram. 16 or 32GB total would be more realistic for me.