Anyone using a sleeve on their RMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by noobinator, Mar 17, 2016.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I just got another Retina MB (base model in Space Gray). I carry it around a lot and it feels like I'm carrying around too much to carry it in my Timbuk2 bag so I started looking for sleeves. I still use the Timbuk2 bag when I need to carry accessories but going to meetings and when I know I won't need accessories I'm going to use a sleeve.

I bought this one on Amazon to get me by until I could research a bit more. It's nice for the price and gets the job done. It's very unassuming and most people that have asked me about it thought it was just a paper notepad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9NBDVA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

After doing quite a bit of research I ordered a Joli Sleeve. It is expensive but it sure looks nice. I ordered the Smooth Gray with Red liner. It was just over $100 US including shipping. I have no affiliation with Joli but I've read nothing but good things about them. They are based in Amsterdam and are a small company and even include a handwritten note to each customer. A nice little added personal touch. I'll be sure to post updates when it comes in. I can't wait!

https://jolioriginals.com/products/smooth-macbook

Is anyone else using a sleeve? If so, which one and how do you like it?

2. johny979 macrumors regular

johny979

3. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I've had the Joli sleeve for 6-8 months now. Very nice.

5. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Which colors/style did you end up getting? And do you remember how long it took to get it after ordering?

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have the dark blue leather with red interior. I don't recall the wait being very long - not enough that I noticed. It's held up beautifully and I'm sure will outlive how long I have this computer. I hope it fits the next generation MacBook as well!

7. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I will second this, absolutely bloody brilliant sleeve, expensive though.

8. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Probably $20 more than it should be but its the best sleeve available and its only $20.

BJ

9. ffnc1020 macrumors member

10. Z3man macrumors 6502a

That doesn't make sense, that would mean it was free.

Costs £59.99 here in the uk.

11. vintagebob, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

vintagebob macrumors member

vintagebob

+1

Beautiful sleeve.

Took like a week?

12. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Are you in the US or UK? I'm in the US. I ordered a week ago and am very excited to hopefully get it soon!

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I love the inCase Icon sleeve. Bought it off of Amazon after seeing it in the Apple store. Great design...impressive to see someone actually innovating the basic "sleeve" concept like this.

14. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

15. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I also love this sleeve, it keeps the device very thin, there is nothing exposed on the sides, great protection in a small package.

16. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I bought this one 3 months ago and it is perfect! http://www.radtech.com/products/sleevznotebooks. It is soft and durable enough to carry around without a case, but small enough to put inside whatever bag you need to and protect it from scratches or other things that may be in the bag.

17. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

You were supposed to read that as "it's $20 more than it should be but in the end it's only $20 and so just deal with the $20 overpayment"

People will try to find the best deal and the best quality, hit the maximum level of value, makes sense. But sometimes there is just a singular solution that is so high on the quality scale that the small premium doesn't matter. Thus is the case of the Incase Icon.

BJ
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    ....and no zipper to deal with.

My backpack (also by incase) has a nicely padded notebook compartment lined with a velour-like fleece so I only use the sleeve when I am at an airport or at a hotel. But the Icon is so thin and light and easy to take the RMB in/out of that I sometimes forget its in the backpack and use it anyway.

BJ

18. Sy7ygy macrumors 6502

19. Mokum020 macrumors newbie

Could the magnet in the sleeve be damaging to the macbook?

20. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I guess as damaging as the front magnet on the lid would be

21. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601