anyone using a tablet with FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bluap84, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bluap84, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

bluap84 macrumors 6502

2. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

A tablet shines in Motion.

No, I don't use one.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I typically use a tablet for everything.

Lethal

5. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

sweet!

i was thinking of the bamboo...but worried about the sensitivity / pressure it has compared to the intous?

6. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

I have the Bamboo and it's great, especially if you're going to use a trackpad or mouse as your primary. If you use Photoshop CS5, you won't get the brush angle (tilt/6-axis) feature of the Intuos. However, I'm not a digital painter, so it hasn't hindered my workflow.'

The Bamboo Pen version has 512 levels of sensitivity. The Pen & Touch version has 1024 (which is equivalent to the older Intuos 3). I have the basic Pen version and it's been fine for Aperture edits, Photoshop drawing and basic painting.

7. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

when it comes to the pressure levels, does that mean how much pressure you will have to use to say...get the drawing line thicker in photoshop for example? so less pressure will be needed on higher level, making the pen more sensitive?

is that right?

8. SatyMahajan, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Not necessarily more sensitive, but more accurate with respect to how hard you are pushing.

The best way I can explain it is that if you were pushing a pen down 1 inch (exaggerated for this example), the 512 level wacom could detect every 1/512 of an inch you pushed down, the 1024 level wacom could detect every 1/1024 of an inch you pushed down. So the 1024 level wacom could detect a single pressure level in-between every level detected by the 512.

How this translates to real world usage is entirely up to the artist, because you're pushing a pen millimeters down. I've seen artists create beautiful art on an iPad with SketchBook Pro (which has simulated pressure levels).

9. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

ah got ya..so for me! that doesnt matter at all...as you dont need pressure within FCPX and as i retouch and not digitally paint i dont need too much pressure.

bingo! i shall get myself one

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You might need the pressure sensitivity with Motion if you do write-on effects and stuff like that.

11. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I wonder how these devices would compare to apples multitouch track pad?

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

They're not really the same thing. I don't think the MagicPad would be able to duplicate the level of precision you get with a traditional pen tablet. The MagicPad is more for interfacing with software through gestures, whereas a pen tablet like a Wacom is designed for giving artists a level precision that's impossible with a basic input device (like a mouse, trackball or trackpad).

13. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haven't even touched motion yet lol. Waiting for one of the decent books to come out on it. But may give ae a go also

But for now it will be used for fcpx and ps

14. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

The Wacom Pen & Touch has gesture/touch features built-in, but is not as good as the Magic Trackpad IMHO. That's why I opted for the basic Pen model.

15. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like I'll be ordering the tablet today then, not bad for only 35quid, I never really used gestures anyways

16. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

You're right, of course. I should have been clearer in my musings.

I was thinking of the Magic Trackpad for use with, say, FCP X rather than as an artistic tool.

17. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yeah, I think that gesture-based control will eventually make its way into NLEs in general. I'm actually kind of surprised that FCP X didn't already ship that way.

18. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I'm waiting for Apple to ship "FCP X Plus" which will include an iPad... :D

19. bluap84, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

ah i may get the touch & pen was thinking last night i quite like the swipes / gesture on the magic mouse, hopefully the touch would be like that

>>>

just ordered the touch & pen off amazon.

1. because of the extra pressure sensitivity
    2. gestures within scrolling and such
    3. found £35 to help me pay towards it

ha