Anyone using a tape drive under OS X

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Dec 4, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've recently found myself in possession of an external SCSI tape drive along with a BIG stack of media for it(I found in a computational chemistry lab clean out, which has yielded a lot of interesting stuff).

In any case, since my most-used Quicksilver already has a SCSI card with the correct interface in it, and I have probably 50 tapes, I figure I have nothing to lose by at least trying it out.

The drive uses HP DDS-1 tapes, which, from what I can find are 90m each and are 2gb/4gb.

I'm just curious as to what actually using this as a backup device would entail. Would I need a special program to "talk" to the tape drive, or is there a built-in Apple utility that I could use.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

2. tampasteve macrumors 6502

I have read that you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup to tape drives, but I have never done it....

3. gooser macrumors 6502

there are just better and cheaper ways these days.

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

What is cheaper than something for which I already have the equipment and media?

Thanks, I'll try that. I don't have the drive hooked up yet, but am planning on doing so this evening.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Retrospect can do tape drives. I'm not sure what the last PPC version was. I haven't used the software since Time Machine came out.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

I used an Iomega Ditto drive back in the day. That had tapes with capacities identical to DDS-1 and I used Retrospect under OS/2 for backups. Slow but did the job.

Still have a Sony SDT-9000 sitting in a box with plenty of tapes.