Anyone using a USB Dock w/ 2 monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Eric-PTEK, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I've considered switching to MacBooks for the office with the new design. All of our customers we support are Windows but 90 percent of what we do is via Remote Desktop into customer servers and our own internal work is also mostly server based so we are remoting in our Hyper-V Servers.

The new Office 2016 Office 365 integration removes one of my last need for Windows natively and now I truly go seamlessly between my iMac, Windows Workstation, and rMBP. Plus having a native Unix machine helps a lot with our firewalls and other equipment.

Believe it or not the texting coming across on the Mac is a huge time saver since we use text quite a bit to communicate with customers.

The downside is we all run 2 monitors at 2560x1440 and I need to have a dock that works with that.

Right now 2 of my employee's run Lenovo Carbon's X1 Touches with their USB Dock.

I have a customer who would take all our Carbon's off of our hands the switch would be minimal to do.

Anyone seen a single connection USB-C that will handle all of that?

One thing we do need is the ability to use multiple ethernet adapters, they can be USB, but have to have multiple connections to multiple networks.

2. No-Me macrumors 6502a

The MacBook can only run one external screen, so that won't work. For the rest you'll be fine (eventually).

3. mikeray macrumors regular

Are you sure? Maybe it could output to two monitors in clamshell mode?

4. No-Me macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/

5. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

6. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

What about a USB 3 to DVI adapter?

The Lenovo dock also only outputs to 1 display via DP or HDMI, so we use that plus a USB adapter.

The USB adapter has its own 'video card' inside of it, does nothing with the on board video.

It does not need to show HD video or anything, just basic stuff.

7. at0m macrumors newbie

I have a star tech adapter that turns the display port into two DVI connectors, I'm using it on my classic MBP right now, but there is no reason it wouldn't work with rMB. Using 2x24" makes a 3840x1080 screen works great :) it takes getting used to it being one big screen though since windows appear in the middle ( half on one screen half on the other )