Anyone using a wireless charging system for iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Trevornewell, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Trevornewell macrumors member

I know there are a couple options out there just wanted to get some ideas and impressions of what you are using for and the "review" you would give them. Thanks

2. Taco1933, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I had the Duracell powermat for my 5.

Pros:
    -It generally performed as advertised.
    -It came with a detachable battery. I prefer this setup to most of the battery cases. It was half the reason I bought it. You only need to attach the battery onto the back of the case when you need a charge or you know you're going to have a long day away from a charger. The rest of the time, you can leave the added bulk off. The battery can be charged by laying it next to the phone on the powermat.
    -Price. I think I paid about $60-70 straight from Duracell, cheaper than most battery cases.

Cons:
    -The powermat can be a bit finicky. If you don't lay the phone down correctly, it won't charge. There were a few times I woke up in the morning with an uncharged phone.
    -If you ever want to charge it normally/in a car, you have to remove the bottom of the case.
    -It isn't compatible with most headphones. The dopey way the bottom of the case sits will only allow a straigh, narrow plug. I had to remove the bottom anytime I wanted to listen to music.
    -The case is a bit flimsy. I never dropped mine. I assume it would protect the phone okay, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom of the case broke after one drop. If that happens, the whole thing is useless.
    -Similarly, if you lose the bottom of the case, it's worthless. That was the end of mine. I handed it down after I got a 6. I don't think it lasted 2 weeks under the new owner.

It served its purpose for me. It was fine, not ideal. I think that technology is best on phones where it is built in. It's too much of a hassle otherwise.

Edit: It appears they have redesigned it and raised the price back to normal of $120. so this review is pretty much moot