anyone using an ide to ssd converter?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gooser, Nov 25, 2014.

1. gooser macrumors 6502a

as we all know ide drives have gotten pretty rare but there are now converters that will allow the use of ssd's in ide compatible computers. have many people have much luck with these things? i know that the speed boost won't be as great as with modern computers but i am more interested in the reliability side of the game. impressions anyone?

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Do you mean IDE to SATA adapters?
    They probably do work and people do use them but they are a bit difficult to fit inside sometimes. There are IDE SSDs out there but they are rare.

3. repentix macrumors regular

You can buy 128mb, 512mb, 4gb ide mini ssds on mindfactory, a german newegg variant.

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Those are very small... almost useless

5. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, ide to sata. that's what i mean.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

I have a few in mine. Easy to fit. The only thing is that they are silent and on some of my notebooks it takes a while for Open Firmware to do its prechecks before it looks for internal drives. You are never sure apart from the chime that your notebook hasn't frozen.

The one below is my go-to. It has all the fittings to mimic an IDE drive.

Attached Files:

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You would need an IDE to mSATA. Standard SATA adapters would be too big to fit inside of a portable Mac if that's what you want. I also recommend using those rather than regular adapters in PowerMac G3s and G4s as the clearance for the adapter is extremely small when the case is shut.

That being said, you may want to look at getting an IDE SSD. I know that KingSpec makes some and they are the most prominent name brand that I know of when it comes to IDE drives. Forum member jrsx has one in his PowerBook so you could probably PM him and see what he says about the SSD. The last I heard, he was quite happy with his.

8. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

won't be used in a laptop. 800mhz g4 imac primarily running os9.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

10. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

@fhall,
    are you using one or two of these adapters? I recognized, that when you use two of these green adapters or in conncetion with another IDE-HDD in a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth on the same IDE-ribboncable (Master and Slave) it takes hours to boot and then it will not access without trouble (like transfer rates of 3MB/s and stuttering access). But used alone they seem to be ok. I have one with a red board and Marvell Manhattan chipset, that also has a jumper for Master and Slave.

On the IDE-SSD buying thing, one might want to compare first, if an IDE-SATA-adapter plus SATA-SSD is not cheaper than an IDE-SSD, also considering that you have enough room and can use a 3,5" SSD, which (both the SSD and the adapter) are cheaper than the 2,5" or mSATA variants. Also, IDE-SSD boards are made differently. I can't explain really, now, but it seems that SATA-SSDs do have the better tech. That is, if you find an SATA-SSD that is SATA-II or an SATA-III SSD that is compatible (results vary form user to user).

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'm only using one in my iMac G4....it works like a champ with my 2.5" SSD