Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
when I get my iMac I would like to connect it to my HDTV's Dvi.

my question is how does this work with an Imac?

can you use both screens at the same time, outputting one resolution to the iMac and another to the secondary screen, or does it shut one screen down to operate the other?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have an external 20" connected to my iMac 17", and it works well, as would yours connected to your TV.

You can mirror the displays (same on each) or span them (more desktop space), but both will be on.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
I have an external 20" connected to my iMac 17", and it works well, as would yours connected to your TV.

You can mirror the displays (same on each) or span them (more desktop space), but both will be on.

great, can u also switch between both displays, and have the other shut off?

D ROCK

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
to span you only need to download and install some software avialable on the web...

17 inch with a 19 inch second display spanned.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I thought it was a hack that would void your warrenty, but i could remember incorrectly.
It's reversible, and it "voiding your warranty" was never really confirmed - but, since it's reversible, it doesn't matter. :)
great, can u also switch between both displays, and have the other shut off?
As far as I know, no, there is no way to turn off the main iMac display.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
It's reversible, and it "voiding your warranty" was never really confirmed - but, since it's reversible, it doesn't matter. :)

As far as I know, no, there is no way to turn off the main iMac display.

so if im watching a movie on my 32" HDTV the iMac display will still be on to distract me?

if so apple need to release a sleep patch

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Baldrick, I have a cunning plan...

so if im watching a movie on my 32" HDTV the iMac display will still be on to distract me?

if so apple need to release a sleep patch

Well there's a couple of things you could try. I sometimes use the spanning hack with my 20" iMac G5...
You can drag your DVD player window ur HDTV then maximise it, but to stop your iMac from distracting you:

1) Clear your desktop (I often drag it all into one new folder then stow the folder away somewhere to deal with it later).

2) Right (or ctrl-) click on your desktop and select your view options, change them so no icons for your hard disk or optical media show on your desktop.

3) change your desktop to black (easy way to do this is < :apple: -shift-4 > and drag a one pixel square over some black text [or even this icon :apple: <<]) save/move that off your desktop then set it as your desktop pic.

4)Reduce screen brightness (F14).

It may seem tedious...because it is. You may want to create a new user account, with that plain black desktop, just to watch DVDs so you dont have to redo ^ that ^ process everytime you want to watch a film on your HDTV.

I hope this helps.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
Well there's a couple of things you could try. I sometimes use the spanning hack with my 20" iMac G5...
You can drag your DVD player window ur HDTV then maximise it, but to stop your iMac from distracting you:

1) Clear your desktop (I often drag it all into one new folder then stow the folder away somewhere to deal with it later).

2) Right (or ctrl-) click on your desktop and select your view options, change them so no icons for your hard disk or optical media show on your desktop.

3) change your desktop to black (easy way to do this is < :apple: -shift-4 > and drag a one pixel square over some black text [or even this icon :apple: <<]) save/move that off your desktop then set it as your desktop pic.

It may seem tedious...because it is. You may want to create a new user account, with that plain black desktop, just to watch DVDs so you dont have to redo ^ that ^ process everytime you want to watch a film on your HDTV.

I hope this helps.

lets hope apple fix this in leopard:(

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
Keep in mind though, that iMacs don't come with the adaptor needed. You're going to have to order it.

Also, can't you set the iMacs display to turn off in the system saver settings? Or does that just shut off both displays?

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
There's no way to just shut off the iMac display. When the power saving settings activate, it shuts off all displays.

its a pity nvidia or ati dont release their own mac driver, I cant believe apple take full advantage of either of these gfx chipsets in the imac

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=75AE2F12&nplm=M9320G/A

this is the link that I found at the Apple store, you may be able to find it elswhere as well.

my buddy bought it ands then had to download some software to make it span. if you just want to mirror what's on your screen you don't need anything else.
Sorry, that is the wrong cable for a G5 (it does not have dvi output, only vga). You need a mini-vga to vga cable. I got mine from eBay for about $8.

D ROCK

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
The Apple Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter is designed for use with the iMac (Intel Core Duo), MacBook, and 12-inch PowerBook G4. Connect the adapter to the Mini-DVI port of the computer and the VGA end of the adapter to an external VGA monitor or projector. You can use this cable in both video mirroring and extended desktop modes.

whoops!
I didn't realize that he had the G5.....

My buddy has the new 20 inch core duo so I am pretty sure this is the cable he got at the Apple store in Toronto. cost is 19.00 USD from Apple .com

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=45F8AC86&nplm=M8639G/A
heres another link.... costs 19.00 USD
The Apple VGA Display Adapter was specially designed to allow users to connect an eMac, iMac G5, 12-inch PowerBook G4, or iBook to an extra VGA monitor or external projector (equipped with VGA) for 24-bit video-mirroring. The VGA cable plugs into the VGA video-out port built into your eMac, iMac flat panel, PowerBook G4 (12"), or iBook.

Important: Compatible only with eMac, iMac G5, iMac G4 flat-panel, 12-inch PowerBook, or iBooks having a VGA port. Certain iBook models may also have an A/V port for composite video-out. Use an Apple A/V Cable for composite video-out. The VGA cable is for VGA video-out only.

Customer Rating

Based on 23 reviews

Based on 23 reviews

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ

I hope this helps.

Bah, Don't do that! It's a Mac, there's an easy solution.

DVD Player -> Preferences -> Fullscreen -> Dim other displays while playing.
That'll fade the other screen to black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.