Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
I've connected both a 160GB iPod Classic (using the VW OEM MDI cable) and a 16GB iPod Nano (current gen, using the VW OEM Lightning MDI cable). Every so often the iPods lock up. They still have power, but I have to reset them.

It's not that common, maybe 5% of the time I'm in the car, but I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I've restored both of the iPods but they both still do this, so I'm wondering if it's something with the head unit instead.

Car is a 2013 Golf R with the RNS-315 navigation/Dynaudio stereo.

Don't have this problem using Bluetooth audio to stream from an iPhone 5, nor has the stereo locked up when I used to use the SD card, but I prefer to just have an iPod in the car instead.

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England
I've connected both a 160GB iPod Classic (using the VW OEM MDI cable) and a 16GB iPod Nano (current gen, using the VW OEM Lightning MDI cable). Every so often the iPods lock up. They still have power, but I have to reset them.

It's not that common, maybe 5% of the time I'm in the car, but I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I've restored both of the iPods but they both still do this, so I'm wondering if it's something with the head unit instead.

Don't have this problem using Bluetooth audio to stream from an iPhone 5, nor has the stereo locked up when I used to use the SD card, but I prefer to just have an iPod in the car instead.

Hi I have a Audi A1(2014) Ipod Classic connected by AMI cable and yes every so often the iPod locks up.....I had exactly the same problem with my Mazda MX5 that had a dedicated for iPod/iphone Alpine stereo, the same thing happened on my wife's Honda Insight which also had the distinction of having the worst interface for using an iPod ever! The Audi's system is not as slick as an iPod but is still lightning fast and sounds great! (upgraded Audi Sound System) So it seems to be a problem with iPods and any car interface, hope that helps

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Hi I have a Audi A1(2014) Ipod Classic connected by AMI cable and yes every so often the iPod locks up.....I had exactly the same problem with my Mazda MX5 that had a dedicated for iPod/iphone Alpine stereo, the same thing happened on my wife's Honda Insight which also had the distinction of having the worst interface for using an iPod ever! The Audi's system is not as slick as an iPod but is still lightning fast and sounds great! (upgraded Audi Sound System) So it seems to be a problem with iPods and any car interface, hope that helps

I never had issues in my Prius (with Entune package). I had dumped the Bose in my TT sometime back for an aftermarket head unit, so I couldn't even remember if I had issues with the OEM head unit. I figured either they all do this or it's just VW/Audi's junk proprietary cable.

Thanks for the input!

BenGieCruz

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
Oklahoma

The problem is your GoRf! Get rid of it now while you can! Buaaahahahaha

Just kidding i love my R too much to give it up...until the mk7 shows its nose up Q1 15 :D

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
The problem is your GoRf! Get rid of it now while you can! Buaaahahahaha

Just kidding i love my R too much to give it up...until the mk7 shows its nose up Q1 15 :D

No joke. After seeing what the tuner companies have already unveiled for the MK7, I started having second thoughts of going with a big turbo setup. But I still enjoy my car very much, and only have 12k on it. Just going to keep it so I don't have to worry about an extra car payment.

BenGieCruz

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
Oklahoma
No joke. After seeing what the tuner companies have already unveiled for the MK7, I started having second thoughts of going with a big turbo setup. But I still enjoy my car very much, and only have 12k on it. Just going to keep it so I don't have to worry about an extra car payment.

Yup! mine's a '13 as well with 13,245 miles on it just turned a year old, only reasons i'm trading it in are.... moaR power, DSG and 4 doors since I have a little one n the way :rolleyes:

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
my ipod does this on my kenwood DNN991HD as well. it did it on my DNX9990HD too...

i was thinking of reformatting the ipod to see if it helped. i dont think its a car thing, i think its an ipod thing...

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
No problems at all on Audi S5 2013

iPod Classic 120GB.
The only drag, is that it is too slow to search and skip songs cause it still has a micro drive in it.
Also, when I change songs, the volume spikes up sometimes...
Otherwise, no problem but I rather use the 40GB Jukebox in the car. It's quicker but it doesn't have playlists... :rolleyes:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah had this issue with the factory head unit, so I replaced the CD changer on mine with a Dension Gateway 500 (since upgraded to the 500S BT) and I haven't looked back since. The interface is a bit funky, but it works great and I never had to disconnect my iPod (except to update music).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.