Anyone using an X25-E in their MBP? (About to buy one)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Some Guy 555, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

I have a X25-E in my PC desktop, works wonders and now after waiting for intel's announcement about the new 34nm drives I have discovered that the only series they are upgrading is the X25M. The E series won't be upgraded until sometime in 2010.

They are going to produce new 80gb, 160gb and a 320gb drive.

I have no need for capacity, I want the E series and I am on the trigger about buying today.

Have 2 important questions:
    1. Anyone have experience with the X25-E in there mbp?
    2. I think I am going to buy from newegg.ca. Anyone recommend them? I hear that they are fast at shipping. I'm in Canada if anyone needs to know.

Product that I am going to buy (possibly)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167014

That is the latest 64GB E series right? Price has dropped on them about $100 for Canada in about a few weeks.

Thanks!

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Newegg is tops here in the states. Sometimes they don't have the best prices but I as well as others buy because they ship pretty fast and are easy to work with for returns and the likes.

What are you going to do that is going to require an enterprise level drive in a laptop? The x25-m I can understand, but I thought the E was for servers with insanely high I/O.

3. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I have one in my UMBP and it works great. I have ilife, iwork, office and a few other apps and still have 40gb free (after turning off the sleep image as i use time machine anyway). I got mine through newegg.

Get it youll like it

4. Some Guy 555 thread starter macrumors regular

In all honesty I do not need the Enterprise drive (X25-E). I could settle with the M series and be satisfied.

In the fall when classes resume for me I will be involved in a few classes where project groups will organize together for class work on huge projects.

Having the X25-E in my laptop would make an ideal "mobile" server/workstation for me and the group to access.

But really, it is not required by any means. I would just like one :)

Looks like I will be using newegg, thanks for the feedback on using them in the states!

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Well given that performance is similar between the two for most applications expect maybe heavy db writing or caching a lot of data I would get the cheaper MLC drive or a bit more storage for the money.:)

6. Some Guy 555 thread starter macrumors regular