Anyone using Aperture for video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bearcatrp, Feb 17, 2010.

1. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I don't do professional video editing, and use iMovie 6HD for all my projects. I like the time line in 6HD better that the newer versions. After watching the demo of Aperture using video and photo's together, kind of looked like like iMovie 6. Anyone using or tried using Aperture for there video's?

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I have used Aperature 3 for some multimedia projects including video. In my case, I fully edit in FCS first so it is ready to incorporate into A 3.

I like being able to use Aperature this way. And for low budget productions it really fills the bills in ways I could not previously do.

3. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

So how did (if any) transitions do on the import? Since I use photo's with my video, was thinking aperture could cut down on time provided I don't need multiple audio tracks or the video doesn't need cleaning up. I like the clip feature but hearing its not clipping properly on the cut. Haven't tried it yet but soon.

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

If I understand correctly, I have not tried using Aperature for "cleaning up" video. Not sure if it can be done. I am still in the learning phase of course since it is a new release. I can tell you that video is already fully processed before incorporating into Aperature and I have not had any transition issues. Aperature appears stable and does not conflict with video settings that I can see. Hope this helps.

5. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I started yesterday importing a video. AFAIK, you can only trim the video but learning this. Your way of doing this seems about the best way so far. I was curious if your import after FCS, with transitions and stuff, carried through when imported into aperture. Haven't tried this yet.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Sure does. Effects, transitions, audio, cuts, etc all appear within Aperature just like they do in the original FCS version. I think there is alot of potential here. Any ideas you have found, let me know! Two heads are better than one!

7. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

How are you exporting from FCS to Aperture? I have an AVCHD cam and import to iMovie 9. I go into the iMovie folder where they were converted and import from there. No problem. Going to try this weekend to see if aperture will import raw AVCHD. Doubt it but will see. This would be cool if it did.

8. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Sorry to resurrect, but...

I just converted my iPhoto library to Aperture 3, and now all of my old mpeg1 video files cannot be played??!! I can't even drag them to the desktop. WTH?? Has anyone else had this issue? Any workarounds?? Going back 6 yrs I have HUNDREDS of these short little video clips. I intended to replace iPhoto with A3, but this is ridiculous!

9. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

I am being very careful what I import into aperture. Only what I need. Hope you didn't delete the iPhoto stuff. This work suck. From what I have read and seen so far, when you import, your given the option to keep you old stuff or delete it. Did you have a back up? Did you try to export them out?

10. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Yes, I did delete the old iPhoto stuff (couldn't keep two 50 GB copies of the same info), but only after I was able to export a few vids to my desktop, then play them with quicktime 10. In quicktime I was able to save one vid in .mov format, import it back into A3, and it worked! BUT, for some reason that process didn't work with the next 3 vids I tried to do this to. I may just import all my video files into iMovie '08?

11. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

Hope it works importing into iMovie. Let me know how it goes. Just finished editing in iMovie (taking your advice) and will bring it in aperture tomorrow. Hope this turns out the way I imagined how aperture will work out.

12. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

Just imported the video with some pictures. All I got to say is this is friggin awesome (so far). Will wait until the final project is done and burnt to disk before final celebration. Not bad, edit in iMovie, export to quicktime format, import into aperture, add pics, music and transitions. Not bad of a work flow.

13. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

After trying a project with pictures first, about a 30 minute video in the middle, them more pictures at the end, I think aperture needs more work. 1st problem was it took 12 hours to transcode an hour slide show with a 30 minute video clip and it only transcoded the first pictures and the video. Wasted a day. Guess I will go back to using iMovie 6HD until aperture gets fixed. :mad: