Anyone using Dark Mode as default yet?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by cammykool, Jun 20, 2014.

1. cammykool macrumors regular

i know it is way unfinished but i was just wondering if anyone had bitten the bullet and started to use it?

2. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

I tried to use it, but it's rather ugly at the moment, too many elements are missing. I'll wait until it's more polished.

On another note, I find it too dark, but it's less fatiguing on the eyes than Pixelmator. As for the windows, I was thinking of something along the lines of Logic or FCPX. Let's wait and see how this evolves.

3. z06gal macrumors 6502

Yes I am and love it. It is not complete but I am not having any real issues to this point. :)

4. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

5. Scarphac3 macrumors regular

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Dark Mode - Open Terminal and type the following

Turn ON :

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Dark

Turn OFF :

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Light

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It's VERY incomplete, and really difficult to use at the moment.

8. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

9. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

I do -- it's not complete in anyway but I don't use Yosemite very much at the moment so it doesn't bother me.

10. Takuro, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

I use it because it's new, shiny, and I want to, even if it's horribly broken. Yes, the menubar icons are totally illegible. But I really don't care.

Plus, the light dock just so happens to looks really fugly with my desktop wallpaper for some reason. The dark dock looks downright awesome.

When Apple finally gets dark mode fully implemented, Yosemite is becoming my main OS, even as a beta.

The following pic is photoshopped, but if I modify the menubar icon resources and use iStat Menus to tweak the font color of the clock, I should be able to achieve the proper look.

[​IMG]

In the finalized version of dark mode, windows and all UI elements will be dark too, not just the menubar and dock. Cult of Mac found this out by hacking together some resource files in DP1 a while ago.

11. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Nope, it's unusable. Every time I click to the desktop or switch apps it flashes white for a second. That and none of the menu bar icons on the right are visible. I'll definitely use it when it's ready though, looks much better than I expected.

12. 3282868 macrumors 603

I love it. Parts are unfinished, but I was able to find/create white menubar icons for most third party app's and some system app's. The drop down menu's dark transparency is much slicker than the white, and falls in closer line with the dark HUD menu's in some of Apple's app's.

Attached Files:

13. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Scratch that, I'm using it now. I got the battery indicator and time to show white just by clicking on them a few times. The most annoying thing is when the menu bar flashes white but that's only when opening a new app.

I think I'll just keep on using it. Much like 10.10 in general, the look of the OS outweighs the bugs. That's why I'm using it full time in the first place.

I love how the dock almost disappears on some wallpapers. Makes the icons pop.

----------

What is that notification center looking app at the left of the first pic? Thanks.

14. 3282868 macrumors 603

It's "Control Center" by Cindori. Tried it on a whim, seemed a little steep at $10, but liked it enough and bought it. It's a control center that can be themed and placed any where, even on dual displays, with shortcuts to system settings, an iStat Menus-esque system monitor, an alarm clock, customize Finder and services (hide icons, show hidden files, library folder, turn off/on Mission Control, Dashboard, Spotlight, etc.), etc. Does a lot for a little app, and the developer plans on revamping it with more as the rumors of Apple adding an OS X "Control Center" didn't happen.

15. Scarphac3 macrumors regular

Thank you!

16. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

those commands don't do anything for me on mba 2011

17. Tony.Skid macrumors member

Tony.Skid

Did you try to use the command then logout/reboot?

18. Kirihuna macrumors member

Is the red iTunes part of dark mode?

19. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Nope. Some of us just changed the logo. I even have a custom itunes UI that makes it more flat.

20. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Anyone using Dark Mode as default yet?

I am also looking forward to the dark mode option. Finally my mac will resemble Salander's mac from Fincher's the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ;)

21. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Will dark mode change apps and finder windows as well?

Thought I saw some screenshots that showed that being the case, although is was in alpha stage and very very very far from being finished.

22. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

whats the thing in the bottom left?

23. z06gal macrumors 6502

It is control center from Cindori. I love it. It just allows for more customization to your liking :)

http://www.cindori.org/

24. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

Damn.. not free enough for my tastes :p

25. 3282868 macrumors 603

See post #14 :)