Anyone using Davinci Resolve?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gameface, Feb 10, 2011.

1. gameface macrumors 6502

What GFX card are you using? I have a 2010 MP with an ATI 5770 so if I do go this route I will need a NVIDIA card with CUDA. Any real world performance suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Software and video card as expensive as my bare tower is a little daunting without knowing the facts. Currently I am using color but have played with a REAL davinci with control surface and I am in love (I can't afford the davinci control surface). Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I haven't used Resolve personally but I would check out the DaVinci forum over at CreativeCOW. From what I've read the preferred Mac setup is with 2 GFX cards (one for the GUI and one that just crunches numbers) and a control panel as the mouse controls seem to be there more for looks than anything else.

Lethal

3. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

4. hsilver macrumors regular

Saw it demoed by Alexis Van Hurkman. Was very impressed with it's speed and incredible tracker for spot color effects with its power window. You can use it with cheaper ($1500?) control surfaces that seem worth the investment.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I'll be upgrading to it this year if my freelance work justifies the switch... For now I updated my 2008 Mac Pro with a 5770 and Color runs like a dream.

6. CaptainChunk, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I saw a Resolve in action at one of my friend's post houses in Arizona. I believe they're running a dual-GPU setup with DaVinci's control surface, similar to the preferred setup Lethal was describing. It seems to handle things quite well. It's also grading 4K REDCODE RAW in real time because they also have a RED Rocket installed. Very impressive.

From what I've heard/read, while the Resolve is compatible with cheaper surfaces like the Tangent Wave, it's not exactly smooth sailing because the software is clearly designed with DaVinci's own control surface in mind. And of course, there are limitations to what cheaper panels like the Wave can efficiently do because they're smaller and have to combine several functions to one key.

But for $2500 between the software and a Wave panel (in addition to the cost of an additional GPU for processing) still gets you quite a bit of power and something you wouldn't have even thought of touching a couple years ago.