Anyone using Dropbox for photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Razeus, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

I'm thinking about moving iPhoto (not the package, just the actual photos) to Dropbox since it now can create photos albums and automatically sorty my photos by date. I will have to pay for the service to get storage space. Any of you guys use it for photos?

2. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I use dropbox for photos..though my account is older and has their previous photo system...not sure how their new system really works.

Last time I messed with iPhoto, I found rather than store it's photos in any human usable way, it, stuck things in weird photos with weird names, which would make using it with Dropbox's auto galleries difficult.

(There may be settings in iPhoto to make the library better...or even a newer version may have fixed that).

3. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I always use Dropbox, I lieterally depend on it. It's the easiest way to share photos with clients too.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Dropbox is cross-platform. Therefore, its photo-handling functions must be lowest common denominator. That means open folders that synchronize with Dropbox's server.

As for your comment about iPhoto's image format--bunk. For a while now, the iPhoto Library has been a bundle rather than an ordinary folder. Your photos that reside in the bundle are ordinary and/or user-edited copies of photos from your camera and/or other sources. There is nothing about them that is in the least bit extraordinary.

5. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Which I believe was my point. It's not a human navigable folder, but an arcane structure only the program can use, which, if I understand what OP want's to do, means it won't work with DropBox's auto galleries.

6. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

I literally want to drop ALL my photos in ONE folder and make various albums from that.

7. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

How are you doing this? Put them in a folder and sharing it?

8. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

There is an option to share a folder with pics when you go login to dropbox.com