Anyone using EyeTV with MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gyumilly, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gyumilly macrumors member

I plan to use MBA while watching TV via EyeTV 250 Plus. I'm wondering how hot MBA it gets. I certainly do not want my fan running all the time while watching TV. I also plan to cut commercials after recording TV shows. MB Santa Rosa did fine, but I would like to make sure if this works with MBA without any issue.

2. frunty macrumors newbie

I use my Air (1.8, SSD) with an EyeTV Hybrid and it works great. The fan does come on, but it doesn't stay on constantly. Cutting out commercials is fine, it takes a little longer than my 2.4GHz MacBook Pro but is definitely liveable. The actual EyeTV hardware gets pretty hot, but I've heard that happens with any machine it's plugged into.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm actually configuring EyeTV 3.0 on my MBA right now... I am using an Elgato HDHomeRun, so I'll be streaming the video over wireless. Once I've gotten it working and had a chance to play with it for a while, I will post back here.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Whoa, you're back clayj. Where you been?

On topic: I just checked out the HDHomeRun, wow, that's awesome!!! I want one...

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've been back for like a month now. Where have you been? ;)

And yes, the HDHomeRun is pretty dang slick. I love watching HDTV at a full 1920x1080 while I surf on my Mac Pro. :)

6. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I love that too! My cable modem already uses one cable outlet, so since I need another coax, so can I split the incoming line with one going to the cable modem and the other line going to the HDHomeRun? :confused:

Your input most appreciated, dying to get one! :D

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If you're going to use a splitter between the cable modem and the wall, make sure you get a low-loss splitter... and be prepared for the possibility that it might not work. Cable modems can be very finicky about how much signal they need, and if you start splitting the signal, you can cause the signal power to drop lower than the cable modem needs.

8. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Yea, that's what I thought too. I better not mess with it. I ordered the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid tonight.

What antenna are you folks using with the EyeTV? :confused: