Anyone using FL Studio 10 on the MacBook Pro Retina in BootCamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entraik, Aug 13, 2012.

1. entraik Suspended

Looking to buy a production laptop, and I was wondering if anyone out there is using FL on either of the new macbook pros (non retina or retina). How is performance, clarity, etc.?

2. entraik thread starter Suspended

3. entraik thread starter Suspended

Seriously? All these views and not one person can check by getting the free demo? I'm looking to get the laptop specifically for audio production.. I need to know :/...hope someone can pull through

4. gbkrip macrumors member

I do not have an rMBP to check for you, but I very seriously doubt there would be any issues with FL.

5. entraik thread starter Suspended

my main concern is battery life and any overheating issues while using FL in bootcamp. Need to know before I am willing to spend so much money.

6. applewindows macrumors newbie

I have been testing FL Stuido on a Retina Macbook Pro all day today. Its running in Windows 7 Bootcamp. I have to say that my computers battery life is lower by at least an hour which is really not that big of a deal to me. I don't really like the fact that the laptop gets really warm from simply running windows even without any programs running. This is weird to me because when running OS X, the laptop literally feels cold lol. However when watching videos it does get quiet warm (absolutely no fan noise though).

This biggest problem that I am having is that when you try and run the ASIO4ALL drivers in FL Studio something weird happens.

In the mixer there are two options for the outputs on the master channel. One output seems to play the highs and the other plays the lows. I can't seem to get them to play together. This is very frustrating. I have figured out that if i set the master channel to play the highs and then set each individual instrument to play the lows by giving each one its own separate channel it seems to play them together. This is still unfortunate because it will now be extra work to mix everything

If this was confusing let me know and i'll try and explain it better.

----------

If your in the USA you can return the laptop for a full refund if you don't like it. So just buy it and test it out. As long as your in the 14 day return window you should be fine.

I suggest verifying this with your local apple store.

7. entraik thread starter Suspended

yea I'm having the same issue with ASIO4ALL. Maybe using a external USB soundcard w/ ASIO4ALL would solve that though. I don't plan on making music without headphones anyways.

8. jblongz macrumors member

I was indeed confused by your mention of the master channel's high/low issue. Are you using internal soundcard? I don't plan to use asio4ALL since the Focusrite Forte has it's own driver.

Has anyone testing using a more than 10 instruments simultaneously?

9. jblongz macrumors member

After a week of running FL Studio on BootCamp on rMBP (fully upgraded), I decided to retire my 2012 beast of a hackintosh (sold most parts already). This latest macbook pro is just what i needed. To host my large sound libraries (EastWest, NI Komplete, etc) I use a Pegasus J4 with 1TB of SSDs. I'd also consider the Belkin Thunderbolt Express dock if you want the ease of using a single cable to connect the entire studio.

10. nfels macrumors newbie

Hi Jblongz!

I'm also using rMBP and all runs smooth. Though I have one issue and I'm curious how does it reflect to yout setup.

The case is, when I'm running win7 via bootcamp and the full retina resolution is set, everything is cristal clear. BUT extremaly tiny, so fn tiny:/ fl doesn't support dpi scaling so it cannot be scaled to 150% for thos example using win built in scaling function.

On the other hand, when I lower the resolution to full hd 1920x1200, details inside fl are ok but the overall display loses it's crispness. And annoys me badly:/
    I'm curious If/how did you deal with this?

Good luck!
    Thanks

11. sabbyp macrumors regular

unfortunately that's just the way windows 7 renders the gui on the retina. Win 8 fixes it to a point, but there are still scaling issues and it's not as cohesive an experience as osx is.

12. politelyerased macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried the beta osx version? I installed it but haven't had much time to play with it, looks okay as much as I saw, and it didn't seem to have too much latency with the stock project

13. jblongz macrumors member

Sorry for the late response. The Mac beta (as you probably know) is crap. Its based on Wine emulation, which is a waste of time. FL Studio will never truly work on Mac because of it's Borland Delphi programing origin. None of the developers are quite prepared to rewrite for Mac. Not to say it won't happen, but a complete rewrite takes years of time away from the Windows platform. It took 3 years for Ableton to rewrite Live for 64bit. I can only imagine ImageLine porting such a complex codebase to a totally different world of code.

On that note, running in boot camp works fine.

14. jblongz macrumors member

So because of Windows 8 sleep issues, I deleted my bootcamp partition. Also I've adopted hardware that Windows does not support yet (UAD Apollo Twin, Pegasus J4).

But good news! Acoording to this article FL Studio is being rewritten natively for Mac. :eek:

15. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

what sleep issue? my rmbp would bsod in windows on wake if it had slept for some time, but it was the nvidia audio driver... removed that and voila, would sleep and wake perfectly.

16. jblongz macrumors member

It usually would not wake. I would open to a perpetual black screen. Only a hard reset would work. Maybe I'll try again in the future since my W8 'system builder' license is locked to this Mac.