Anyone using Full Screen Apps?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by OW22, Aug 6, 2011.

1. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

I can definitely see the attraction of running full screen apps on notebooks, using the whole of the screen using all the screen real estate makes sense.

Any desktop users using it? I've been experimenting with it on my 27in iMac and it's a bot much imho. Mail is crazy! You're just left with lots of unused white space. iTunes can be interesting when you enlarge the cover flow view.

I'm undecided about it though.

2. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I don't use it. I was excited about it at first, but for some reason I don't like it. I guess I got used to not having it. Loosing the maximize button in windows was one of the biggest thing I miss when going to Mac, not it seems like fullscreen takes up too much room now that I am used to not having it.

3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

The only things I use in fullscreen is Mail and Aperture. The full screen edits are really nice under Aperture and iPhoto.

4. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

5. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Nope, not even on my 13" MBA.

It's not like many programs haven't supported some sort of full-screen mode prior to Lion. The only program that I use full-screen mode in regularly is Pixelmator.

6. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Using a 13" MacBook I love Fullscreen apps. I get immersed into whatever app I'm in and end up losing track of time.

What I hate is how they're integrated into Mission Control. They need to be a desktop not a separate space that nothing else can interact with.

8. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Shoulda made it a poll! Anyways, I haven't touched fullscreen once yet.

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I would use it if Lion supported dual monitors...

10. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Just tried full screen for the first time. I don't really need it for what I do. Also it took me a minute to figure out how to get out of it. I almost replied to this thread asking.

11. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

iTunes, Reeder, Chrome, Mail. I really like it.

12. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Yes. iTunes, Mail, and iCal. Sometimes Safari when I feel like it.

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

iPhoto is nice, as is mail. Safari when looking at something like Google Maps.

I like to have the option, I suppose.

14. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

15. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Does Chrome support spaces now?

16. Amberfool macrumors member

Yes I do use it, in both Safari and iTunes full-time, and then in Quicktime obviously whenever I watch a video.

For apps where you really are focusing in on the content in this way, it is a really lovely clean experience, especially on a MBP 13'. I only wish they could be reorganized, though that is more of a MC issue then a full-screen one.

17. AI2 macrumors newbie

iPhoto, iTunes, and sometimes in Safari. I didn't like how mail looked in full screen.

18. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I use it a lot for Safari and Mail, particularly on the 13 inch MBA. On the desktop systems with large monitors not too much.

19. d0ster macrumors regular

I use Sparrow and Evernote in full screen on 13' MBP and I'm diggin it :cool:

20. phobox macrumors member

I use full screen quite a bit on my dual-monitor setup. I currently have Safari, Reeder, Spotify, Mail and iTunes running in full screen mode. I like being able to easily switch over to them when I need to use them, and then I get a full screen uninterrupted view of that app. They stay out of the way until I need them and don't complicate my normal desktop (which I spend most of my time at). Ive discovered also that where the second monitor is greyed out with full screen apps, you can still use it for that apps windows. So for example with iTunes full screen, I tend to have two windows open, one on each monitor - the main library view and the itunes store view. This is an ideal setup for me. Also works well for toolbox and inspector windows such as those found in image editing apps at the like.

21. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

No, but with Maximizer it does. It works flawless!

22. marc11 macrumors 68000

+1, I use full screen on every app using Maximizer for apps that do not support native full screen yet. Love having each app fully open and automatically in its own desktop space. Makes using swipe and Mission Control that much more integrated and intuative.

23. angusticeps macrumors newbie

At first I was excited to know about full screen apps in Lion and thought wow, at last they got it too. Unfortunately full screen turned out to be implemented (intentionally or not) in such a way that was interacting badly with my workflow:

• full screen apps end up in their own special desktop, therefore the desktop order changes over time, while I like to have apps assigned to desktops 1, 2, ... so that I can quickly reach them with option-1, option-2, etc. In this way you can also easily drag application windows around without fussing with MC
    • there's a bug in full screen safari such that when you open the second tab, the address bar loses its focus. As I always have one tab open (gmail) and have grown with the habit of opening a new tab (which more often than not is the second one) and start typing the address of a site, this was a major inconvenience
    • the dock is more difficult to reach, especially if you're using a mouse
    • the inability to have a quick look at the menu bar (for the battery meter or the clock) without having to move the pointer over there

As soon as I quit using full screen mode (and Mission Control) I managed to get back a reasonable working environment. Sadly, the only new feature of Lion that I ended up being happy with is Mail.

24. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Nope, tried it for a while but I miss the little things

like notifications in the dock (mail badge count etc)
    seeing the clock at the top

I prefer to just maximise the window using all available screen (leaving dock and top bar visible)

25. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

on a dual-monitor system its not really impressive. One screen gray; the other screen has content.
    Raised an enhancement suggestion to Apple to limit the full screen on one monitor and keep the other free (or available for a second full screen).

At this point in time only useful on a single display system.