Anyone using Invisible Shield on New 13 Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GadgetGeek407, Aug 11, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I have a 13 pro i7 and have a speck case however its heavy and I want to actually show the thinness of my AIR so I was thinking an invisible shield and like a book book case would work best or a sleeve? what do you all think n who is using something similar?

2. kilonet macrumors member

Never would have guessed Speck case is heavy? It looks so light from the pics..

3. ann713 macrumors 6502a

In my experiences, Speck cases are thin and not too bulky, but they do add a good amount of weight.

OP, I would go for the shield + Sleeve combo. For the shield, I recommend Wrapsol's full body wrap NOT the Invisible Shield brand. I've had the Invisible on my previous MacBook and film turned yellow and started lifting after just a few months. The Wrapsol, on the other hand, is matte, doesn't turn color and the texture is quite nice. It's been nearly a year since I've installed it on my second notebook and no problems thus far. I'm really not here advocating for Wrapsol, it's just a great product.

4. marrzie macrumors regular

My wife has invisible shield on her android and her ipad and I hate it. It is not smooth it has an orange peel type texture to it, plus the finish is glossy. I guess this helps grip which is horrible for the ipad and android where you dont want any grip on the touch screen. I think extra grip on the mba is a big plus but its glossy and thats just not right.
    I went wrapsol but cannot comment on the texture since its not installed.

5. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

I have used both invisible shield and the wrapsol on my notebooks and I really prefer wrapsol.. It is much nicer, as far as look and feel are concerned (i.e. the shield is shiny and rather visible, regardless what the name says, and it feels kinda plastikish... if that makes sense).

I can't really say about other, similar, products.

Unsure about the price difference - if any, but I'd recommend the wrapsol - although, that is subjective.

As far as protection quality/level, I guess, they would be similar.

Not sure if this helps.

6. kilonet macrumors member

Is wrapsol full body easily removable and reusable?

7. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

If you have the patience to remove it without stretching it may be reusable. But, I certainly would not classify it as "easily removable and reusable".

It is not like hard cases.

I think it can be done... but it has to be done slowly and with lot of saturation...

Maybe people who actually tried to remove and reuse it have a different experience.

8. honggil macrumors member

I have the BookBook and although it's pricy, the quality of the build is top notch, the protection it offers is amazing and the design is very very unique. One of the best cases I've used ever.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've got the bookbook, Great, functional, distinctive case. Also had the ghost armor kiosk in the mall by my Apple store install a black carbon to my Air. Some don't care to mess with the looks of the Air, but I've always like the black macbook.

Some have thought the two together as a bit incongruous, but I like it. It's sort of a Darth Vader meets Charles Dickens look.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206941&highlight=badassery

I've since reapplied the trackpad covering myself to even it out a bit, so ignore the first pictures with the wider aluminum stripe to one side of it. I think I was the first one to have the black carbon applied at the kiosk, and there were a few other Air owners standing in line behind me, think the guy got a little bit rushed.

10. glen e macrumors 68030

BookBook and icarbons here - along with a bookbook stand when I am at home hooked up to my monitor...

11. mfr1340 macrumors regular

it is light! I have one and it is perfect. you don't even know it is on. Its easier to grip and hold on to. I don't know what this person is talking about.

12. marrzie macrumors regular

It is light but it still is just over half a pound. Sure that's nothing really but compared to a skin it's a lot.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I considered the Speck (love it on my ipad) but the reviews on the apple site complaining about cracking caused me to pass on it. Even the folks at the apple store advised me that the air should be taken out of the case on a regular basis for cleaning, or scratching could occur from dirt and et cetera getting between the air's bottom and the case.

Not to mention I was concerned with heating issues after getting an i7, and was afraid that the case wouldn't allow for airflow and cooling as well as a skin.

But as for the folks who took the plunge and like it, I'm happy for them.

14. Robotpedlr macrumors newbie

I have the Zagg invisible shield on my MBA 13 (and my iphone) and think they are great.

It does add a slight shine to the finish of the MBA, which I think looks good anyway.... I got it mainly to avoid scratching my MBA with my watch band as I type. It keeps it looking new and protects the finish in as near to a factory look as possible.

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Invisible Shields are sticky and attract dirt. They are also extremely prone to yellowing. Yes, all you have to do is peel it off and send it back for a new one, but if you've ever applied a full body IS to a notebook you probably don't want to do it every other month.

16. macsoc macrumors newbie

Speck SeeThru & BookBook

I have that exact set up and it works great. BookBook is gorgeous case and the speck seethru does a good job in protecting the MBA

17. jbouklas macrumors regular

I bough an iCarbon skin for my wife's 11" Air. It looks awesome and it'll provide good protection- it's fairly thick for a skin, and the carbon fiber (or faux cf, doesn't really matter to me) is textured, so I don't think any scratches are getting through.

One problem I noticed, though, is that the cut-out isn't exact. I thought I was doing it wrong, but when I applied the skin to the bottom, it's obvious that it's off by one or two millimeters (the cut-outs for the feet don't line up). So, covering the lid, it extends about one millimeter longer on one side than the other, and on the bottom, it looks good except some space around two or three of the feet. And the white Apple just isn't the right size- there was too much space left over, whereas I thought it would fit snugly, so I didn't apply that.

I would buy it again for my MBP that I'm using, unless I can find something very similar that lines up perfectly.

18. h00ligan macrumors 68030

My Wrapsol just got here.. now I just need my amazon air.

19. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

anyone try phantom skins? they have a matte option and it's half the price of the wrapsol if you consider that they give you 2 sets

20. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I have tried InvisibleShield on my iPhone and I do not like the material it is made of. BookBook is my choice (for my old MacBook Pro, for my current MacBook Air and my iPhone) since the case is very protective (hard cover) and looks amazing. Also handmade leather is not something one does find every day.

21. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1

I also have a Moshi keyboard skin and a ShaggyMac keyboard cover (to protect the screen from keyboard/Moshi oils) waiting together with the Incipio Orion slipcase that used to house my 1st Gen MBA. I just need my base 13" Amazon MBA now...

22. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry ill clarify i meant the 13 pro is heavy not the case but the case does add bulk a bit.

Those who use book book do you ever take it out or always leave it in?

How about the person who said they have a stand for the book book for using it on a monitor? you got pics? sounds cool

The person that had the speck see thru case and book book do you put the speck case on and than put it in book book? isn't that bulky?

23. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I have a speck see thru case on my 11" and I love it. Don't think it adds that much weight or make it noticeably bulkier

24. minnus macrumors 6502

Would someone with the skins be willing to benchmark their temperature? For example, I would be very interested to know what you're ambient, idle, and load temperatures are. I'm afraid of putting a skin on it if it would increase the internal temperatures to uncomfortable levels.

25. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I'm relatively new to the world of "invisible skins," having bought my first Bodyguardz for my Rev A MBA. I just put a Wrapsol on my 11" MBA Ultimate ... what a difference!

I actually like the glossy finish better than the Wrapsol matte, but for every other aspect - from application to textile feel - Wrapsol has the better product.

Just being able to "slip and slide" the Wrapsol into position is worth the cost of the product. I also didn't have as many bubbles or imperfections as with the Bodyguardz or Invisashield products.

Anyway, I'm now a Wrapsol convert ... my 11" MBA looks like a little matte bullet, and that's fine with me.