Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have two setups: a traditional setup with my tube amp and a massive pedalboard. My stage rig (if I were in a band) so to speak.

For digital, I use a bunch of JamUp presets. They mimic most of the sounds I need to noodle with. There is also a decent sharing community for presets. I use AudioBus to feed that into either GarageBand or Auria. I record there.

It's a crap shoot which one I practice through more. If I want volume, I use the amp. If I'm learning something and want to play along, I use the iPad.

Edit: re a point you made earlier. There are multi-input devices for iOS. Apogee's Quartet is a 4-input device that has an iOS connector.

Damn right on!! That's what I'm after will check out Apogee.

Thank you kindly.

mdbradigan

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
Nashville, TN area
You come to the iPad forum, post the tech equivalent of a racial slur ("consumption device")... and I'm the dick?
Ha - really? It's that serious? Honestly - I totally did not think of it that way - and if that's really how you feel - I honestly do apologize. That's not my intent. I mean, purely for MY purposes - I'm not trying to slight anyone in any way. I come here because I'm psyched to see so many people who are using interesting solutions for changing the way they work, and I like to learn from them. The device capability is not quite there yet... for me, so I continue to monitor, and see what other peeps are doing to make things work for them, and to see if I can adopt any of them. I'm not trying to get into arguments with anyone - just here to learn and enjoy man. Apologies for offending you - not what I'm going for.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Ha - really? It's that serious? Honestly - I totally did not think of it that way - and if that's really how you feel - I honestly do apologize. That's not my intent. I mean, purely for MY purposes - I'm not trying to slight anyone in any way. I come here because I'm psyched to see so many people who are using interesting solutions for changing the way they work, and I like to learn from them. The device capability is not quite there yet... for me, so I continue to monitor, and see what other peeps are doing to make things work for them, and to see if I can adopt any of them. I'm not trying to get into arguments with anyone - just here to learn and enjoy man. Apologies for offending you - not what I'm going for.

You don't have to worry about offending me, I didn't design or build the iPad.

It's more if you want to be taken seriously here (I see you're new), you should avoid antagonistic labels like "consumption device". That stuff might fly on the Mac boards, but people here have way too much experience getting Real Work™ done on our iPads to let that go unchallenged.

If it doesn't meet your particular needs, that's cool, just say so and why. Obviously iPad isn't the only solution to every computing scenario. And it doesn't need to be, now or in the future.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ha - really? It's that serious?

IMO, Gustave is taking it a bit more seriously than I think necessary. If I recall correctly, your initial post lacked the "for me" qualifier. It may seem obvious that everything we post is our own opinions, but sometimes adding that qualifier do help promote smoother discussion.

And while iPad has become my main device, I still do need the Mac for a few tasks. So depending on what tasks you need to do, of course the iPad can't be the main device for everyone. For me, the screen size has made a big difference. The 9.7 iPads were my "can get work done in a pinch" devices. The 12.9 iPad, I actually prefer it over my Macs for most work tasks.

Reactions: bensisko

mdbradigan

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
Nashville, TN area

It's more if you want to be taken seriously here (I see you're new), you should avoid antagonistic labels like "consumption device". That stuff might fly on the Mac boards, but people here have way too much experience getting Real Work™ done on our iPads to let that go unchallenged.

If it doesn't meet your particular needs, that's cool, just say so and why. Obviously iPad isn't the only solution to every computing scenario. And it doesn't need to be, now or in the future.
Yeah, cool - didn't mean to be antagonistic. Thanks for letting me know.

Speaking of real work (which apparently means "processor-intensive" when not trademarked) {side note: no antagonism intended or implied - I do "real" work all day every day on what many would consider an underpowered computer - 12" macbook, switching only when intensive tasks- I could fairly easily do this using the power of an iPad} - what about a "docking station" idea for iOS - souped up version of the Razer Core - which you could quickly plug into to enable more power, better gpu, additional ports, etc.? (Would like to see for Mac also or, even better, both). The idea of grabbing an iPP for on-the-go, and then coming home and plugging it in to a force multiplier, like one can with laptops, would go a long way towards making them more mainstream for larger tasks, am thinking. This is what MS is trying to do, sort of, with their surface book, for better or worse. I haven't played with them too much, but have read all the reviews. Know they have their limitations. But - coming home, popping a single USB3 cable into your ipad, and having 3x the power, a 27" touchscreen monitor, keyboard + mouse/trackpad, external data, speakers, etc. - Now there is no debate as to whether "real" or not. MS also trying this experiment with phones - I think this going to be a really interesting space over the next few years.

Reactions: B.A.T and trifid

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011

Are you suggesting most people wouldn't consider the iPad a consumption device? I admire your passion in trying defend the iPad for serious work, but I find it hard to believe that it would be an act of hostility labeling the iPad primarily a consumption device.

Last edited:

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Are you suggesting most people wouldn't consider the iPad a consumption device? I admire your passion in trying defend the iPad for serious work, but I find it hard to believe that it would be an act of hostility labeling the iPad primarily a consumption device.

But to consider an iPad Pro to be just a consumption device shows a complete lack of imagination and laziness. The switch from DOS to Windows meant relearning how things are done. Same thing going from using a Windows laptop to using an iPP. Anyone who can't use it as their main device is using either socialized software that can't/won't get ported over, or they're lazy.

Rogue Coder

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017
But to consider an iPad Pro to be just a consumption device shows a complete lack of imagination and laziness. The switch from DOS to Windows meant relearning how things are done. Same thing going from using a Windows laptop to using an iPP. Anyone who can't use it as their main device is using either socialized software that can't/won't get ported over, or they're lazy.

I've been a LONG time lurker before creating an account. Let me share my experience with using my iPP as a main device and using it for "real work". First off, it is VERY possible to use it as your main device, but it may require FAR MORE work than it needs to be, depending on your needs. I am a web developer. I use Coda and Pixelmator to do web design and development. I use Wordpress to manage my client's websites as well as my own if need be. I use Team Viewer to provide remote support for both Apple and PC computers. I choose to NOT use it to manage my finances, as there are literally ZERO decent options that do not require a cloud. That being said, I really could use it for my finances.

I can also use it to generate invoices, save receipts, etc as need be. I can check email, edit documents to include any made using MS Office. While at home, I can print everything I need to print. Is all this not considered "real work"? Of course it is! Now, I'm not a professional photo editor, although I COULD clean up photos with Pixelmator. I'm not a video editor and no, IMHO, there are no professional level video editors for the iPP. Yes, I can also use it to write code in C#, HTML, Javascript, PHP, Swift, etc. For everything that I can't, I have my iMac. Now, I DO see the potential for the iPP to truly be a laptop killer. Apple has GOT to open up iOS a bit more than it has before that happens.

My point is, it is VERY possible to use the iPP to not only do real work, but to be your main device. The thing you have to ask yourself is: what will I use it for? Will I use it as a consumption device or can I do real work with this? Only you can answer that. For me it was simple: I can use it as my main device but I choose NOT to because of my security concerns with financial records and the fact that Apple needs to open up iOS just a bit more.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

This "only a consumption device" thing is just getting so old and dated. It implies that people can not possibly be productive using an iPad, which is just plain absurd.

I have been retired for over a year, but there was a senior manager in our organization that used to carry an iPad around with him to meetings and on travel.....never took a laptop. In his office, he had a desktop. He would use the iPad to reply to emails, calendar, take notes, create/review documents, annotate PDFs, review presentations and spreadsheets. I think he was very productive with the device. When he had heavy lifting to do, he would use the desktop computer.

Now, this guy was my boss....so, maybe I should have set him straight. "Hey boss, you aren't being productive in these meetings and business trips because your using an iPad which is clearly just a consumption device." Of course, his reply might be; "Thanks for pointing that out. I was just marking-up your department's annual salary review on my iPad, and now I know exactly how to handle it.":mad:

There are definitely things that a laptop does better than an iPad.....spreadsheets for example. So, if you said something like; "I do a lot of spreadsheet creation and manipulation of large data bases while away from my office computer, so a laptop is really the better device for me." Most folks would totally get it....and you are unlikely to find anyone on this forum advocating for an iPad given that use case.

But, I would not say that an iPad is just a consumption device.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
This "only a consumption device" thing is just getting so old and dated. It implies that people can not possibly be productive using an iPad, which is just plain absurd.

I have been retired for over a year, but there was a senior manager in our organization that used to carry an iPad around with him to meetings and on travel.....never took a laptop. In his office, he had a desktop. He would use the iPad to reply to emails, calendar, take notes, create/review documents, annotate PDFs, review presentations and spreadsheets. I think he was very productive with the device. When he had heavy lifting to do, he would use the desktop computer.

Now, this guy was my boss....so, maybe I should have set him straight. "Hey boss, you aren't being productive in these meetings and business trips because your using an iPad which is clearly just a consumption device." Of course, his reply might be; "Thanks for pointing that out. I was just marking-up your department's annual salary review on my iPad, and now I know exactly how to handle it.":mad:

There are definitely things that a laptop does better than an iPad.....spreadsheets for example. So, if you said something like; "I do a lot of spreadsheet creation and manipulation of large data bases while away from my office computer, so a laptop is really the better device for me." Most folks would totally get it....and you are unlikely to find anyone on this forum advocating for an iPad given that use case.

This is a very good argument for "use the best tool for the job at hand". Thank you.

Reactions: temna and DeepIn2U

mdbradigan

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
Nashville, TN area

So - fwiw - from the "other side" of this debate (such that it is) - I think the issue is one of language / semantics. When I (and I'm speaking primarily for me here) say "primarily a content consumption device" I mean - mathematically speaking, from a purely statistical standpoint, most people are using the device to 1.) consume content 2.) do light writing/editing/emailing. I do not mean "solely a content consumption device" where solely = a pejorative statement about the lack of "real" work done by said people. I think it's *awesome* that people are able to get so much done these days on tablets - and look forward to the day where they are even more powerful, and they can possibly take the place of traditional computers - for me -. There seems to be a lot of angst running around in the "real" and "primary" departments. I just don't think hackles need to be raised here. People are getting stuff done in different ways. Isn't that cool? Yes! There are a ton of different devices for different people and different workflows...isn't that cool? Yes!!

I think we are nearing the point where tablets are powerful enough to do things like complex spreadsheets. It's software that's limiting us at this point. But - the amount of attention payed to the iOS-sphere means that software is getting really really interesting in this space. Especially small things like say - Duet Display now giving touchbar controls to a closed clamshell mbp, and things like this. The idea of using an iPad as a touch controller for a larger display, plus input / display device in general - really really interesting. We are definitely working towards a paradigm shift here. Kudos to the early adopters for modifying their workflow, paving the way, etc. - but I think there's rather a lot of unnecessary defensiveness here. Then again, this is an internet forum - so :)

Reactions: trifid

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
What do you think laptops and desktops are?
They are inviting the viewers of the ad to expand their definition of PC. Yes, of course laptops and desktops are computers. But notice, as @Supa_Fly mentioned below, how the users are performing 'real work' with no compromises, without needing a keyboard, a mainstay of traditional personal computers. In fact, the ad shows the advantages of switching from a keyboard to a touch input system.

You ask, "What do you think laptops and desktops are?" Apple is asking, "What do you think an iPad is?" As their website states, It's a Super. Computer. And I and many others, agree.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have two setups: a traditional setup with my tube amp and a massive pedalboard. My stage rig (if I were in a band) so to speak.

For digital, I use a bunch of JamUp presets. They mimic most of the sounds I need to noodle with. There is also a decent sharing community for presets. I use AudioBus to feed that into either GarageBand or Auria. I record there.

It's a crap shoot which one I practice through more. If I want volume, I use the amp. If I'm learning something and want to play along, I use the iPad.

Edit: re a point you made earlier. There are multi-input devices for iOS. Apogee's Quartet is a 4-input device that has an iOS connector.

Sweet Christmas!
Apogee Quartet: For MacOS and iOS
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/quartet
Eating my words, loving it!
Expensive but worth it!

Reactions: mdbradigan

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Whoa!! You traded an iPad Pro for a brand new MacBook Pro? That's a great deal!
Well, long story short, I had to pay a little extra. I had the 128 with the Apple Pencil. When I say, "Trade In" I mean, I sold it to a friend who paid a good amount. I love my Mac and it is great!

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia

It is when people state that (consumption device) as though it is absolute, particularly in a thread where people are discussing how they are doing work on the IPP and using it as their main device. It is SO BORING and ignorant when someone just dumps that consumption cliche in the middle of this.

And what is "real work" - spread sheets, coding?? That's usually it, the narrow definition of "real work" here. I know and know of heaps of professionals who do interesting work and performances with ipads, in music, art, design, photography and multimedia.

Turn this narrow stupid statement the other way, imagine stating as an absolute on a Mac forum: "you can't have any fun on Macs, they are just 'real work' machines."

I've come to this thread because I use ipads more than macs these days and I'm interested in hearing from others doing this, I'm not interested in hearing from anyone who can't imagine doing anything but email, surfing, watching a movie on an ipad.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
The discussion about working on an iPad should not be about doing "real work" vs. – what? – "fake work?". It's about simple workflows vs complex workflows.

A simple workflow means performing a task using only one app. Or using several apps but with no direct interaction between them.

A complex workflow means performing a task using several apps which can exchange information between them by placing content created in one app into another, exporting/importing data and other means of interaction.

Examples of tasks requiring simple workflows:
  • Email communication
  • Spreadsheet work (Excel, etc)
  • Writing
  • Drawing, painting
  • Photo editing
  • Reading
  • Reviewing and annotating documents
  • Entering data in database-type apps of any kind
Examples of tasks requiring complex workflows:
  • Embedding and linking live spreadsheet data into rich text documents (Excel > Word)
  • Making a brochure using a page layout app by combining drawings and photos made in other apps (and keeping everything editable)
  • Making a web page using a text editor, embedding images and drawings made in other apps and publishing everything via FTP.
  • Batch processing of images (renaming, changing metadata, editing)
  • Any kind of project involving files of different types which must be managed together.
The iPad is well suited for tasks requiring simple workflows, which is something most people do.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
The discussion about working on an iPad should not be about doing "real work" vs. – what? – "fake work?". It's about simple workflows vs complex workflows.

A simple workflow means performing a task using only one app. Or using several apps but with no direct interaction between them.

A complex workflow means performing a task using several apps which can exchange information between them by placing content created in one app into another, exporting/importing data and other means of interaction.

Examples of tasks requiring simple workflows:
  • Email communication
  • Spreadsheet work (Excel, etc)
  • Writing
  • Drawing, painting
  • Photo editing
  • Reading
  • Reviewing and annotating documents
  • Entering data in database-type apps of any kind
Examples of tasks requiring complex workflows:
  • Embedding and linking live spreadsheet data into rich text documents (Excel > Word)
  • Making a brochure using a page layout app by combining drawings and photos made in other apps (and keeping everything editable)
  • Making a web page using a text editor, embedding images and drawings made in other apps and publishing everything via FTP.
  • Batch processing of images (renaming, changing metadata, editing)
  • Any kind of project involving files of different types which must be managed together.
The iPad is well suited for tasks requiring simple workflows, which is something most people do.

Good post, I think that kind of distinction is helpful. However some of your examples may be a bit misleading, for example, writing/spreadsheet can be a complex workflow, suppose you need to add a lot of graphics and media and edit them, or if you need to compare multiple documents and go back and forth among multiple sources of data, there would be a lot of interaction among multiple apps.

And it's not an uncommon use case in business or education for example. Any school presentation is going to easily require you shuffle among multiple documents/sites and graphics as you compose your project, and that's pretty basic in my opinion, and would be considered complex workflow.

Reactions: bensisko

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

I don't know if I would even say that. There are complex workflows, by your definition, that the iPad can still handle perfectly well.

I think, when it comes right down to it, it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Personal Preference is definitely a factor, but I would also say there are going to be times when you can be clearly using the wrong tool for the job. For example, let's take spreadsheets, which are ubiquitous in the work-a-day world:
  • I have built numerous simple spreadsheets on an iPad. I was also able to use the iPad to review and edit larger spreadsheets. No problem. But, when I needed to create large and complex sheets, thing got difficult pretty quickly. I felt like I am using a hammer when I need a sledge.
  • I can go to a laptop, and things get easier. Formula creation. Pivot Tables. Database functionality. The laptop is just a better tool for more complicated spreadsheets.
  • However, when I had financial analysts working for me (I am talking about real "quants"), these folks did not want to use a laptop workstation. They absolutely wanted a desktop set-up with multiple large screens, full sized keyboards with number pad, and they were very particular about the mouse.....needed to be perfect for their trigger finger. If I asked them to just use a laptop, they would have scoffed and told me there is no way they could do real work with such a set-up.
So, there you have it. Spreadsheets used effectively on all three devices: iPad, Laptop and Desktop. But, the best device or tool might change depending on the job.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Personal Preference is definitely a factor, but I would also say there are going to be times when you can be clearly using the wrong tool for the job.

So, there you have it. Spreadsheets used effectively on all three devices: iPad, Laptop and Desktop. But, the best device or tool might change depending on the job.

Well stated - and there are certainly times when there is a "right tool" and "wrong tool". When it comes to computers especially, the right tool is the right tool for YOU. Two people could be doing the exact same task, but one is more productive on the iPad and the other is more productive on a desktop with multiple displays.

I've learned something from this thread - there are no absolutes. Before, I would have said that the iPad is absolutely a creation tool, but there are some things you just don't do on the iPad. Having read some of these posts, I've changed that to say it's just a matter of personal preference. You CAN do a lot more than even I expected on the iPad.

The creator is the utmost important element and these are just tools to help us create. Whatever tool allows us to give expression to our creations for us is the best tool to use.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
You come to the iPad forum, post the tech equivalent of a racial slur ("consumption device")... and I'm the dick?
Calling someone a "dick" isn't the tech equivalent of anything. That iPads are being discussed doesn't magically make it racist lol. Chill.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Calling someone a "dick" isn't the tech equivalent of anything. That iPads are being discussed doesn't magically make it racist lol. Chill.

I checked above and @M.Gustave has not called anybody a dick. I think he wanted to express that coming onto the iPad forum being convinced the device is only good for consumption will cause as much trouble as a racial slur somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.