Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cask

Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
After think I was going stick with my jailbroken V1 iPhone, but after selling my older iPhone for almost 7,000 MXP (like 680 USD) in Mercado Libre (Mexico's ebay) I finally decided to purchase the new iPhone 3G with an unlimited data plan in Mexico with Telcel. I didn't get one of the crappy limited iPhone plans they are selling, but got my older plan and a unlimited 3G data plan. It was a nice surprise that 3G speeds are faster than I thought they will be. I am getting around 1600 kbps. Much better than the speed I got with Edge on my V1 iPhone and what I have been reading people get with AT&T in the US. What has been you experience?

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
well i dont have the iphone 3g, but when i came to mexico for vacation i was using Telcel on my 2g and it was great. i had full bars everywhere and the reception was awesome

Cask

Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Actually my experience with Telcel and the 2g iPhone were somewhat poor, I experienced dropped cars once in a while and few signal bars. I expected that since they just started deploying their 3g network this year, coverage would not be any good. But it was a nice surprise to find a nice working and fast data network, at least in my city, along with better call quality.

I guess I won't be using the Disable 3G option much. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.