Anyone using Kingston ram? And do you 'need' to get a 'matched' pair/set?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by msmth928, Jul 24, 2009.

1. msmth928 macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2009
    As the title says really :)

Reason I ask about the matched pair/kit is because the retailer I was going to buy it from has run out of the 6GB kit, but do have separate 2GB modules... wondering if it would be ok to just go ahead and order 3 of those :-/
  2. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2008
    Waukesha WI
    I actually tried pairing a 1gb Kingston with some no-name brand that was same size but neither would show up. But of course that was in a G5. Could be a different story in a Pro
  3. wpc33 macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Well, my G5 also was picky as all hell on my RAM, so I'd have to agree that it may be a horse of a different color.

OP: Make sure you know the return policy very, very well before you take any chances with your RAM cash. Best of luck, but with enough research, you won't need as much.;)
  4. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2009
    They are being advertised for the mac so should be ok there:

Do I 'need' to get a kit or will 3 or 4 of these be as good?
  5. pbasser2 macrumors member

Jul 14, 2009
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Kingston ram

Friend bought them and we traded for a superdrive. am using two 2 gig sticks works good no problems. get a matched pair.
  6. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2009
    Do you have to buy a matched pair guys? It's considerably cheaper just buying 3 x 2GB Kingston sticks than getting a 3x2GB kit (which for all we know are just 3 sticks just put in a package and called a 'kit'!).
  7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Not sure what computer you have as your post doesn't tell us. I have a early 2008 MacPro and they have to be matched pairs...
  8. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2009
    2009 Quad MacPro - where tri channel can be utilised. Just not sure if they have to be or can be 'matched' ?
  9. ventro macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2006
    I bought Kingston ram because they work the best with ZDNet clock. I am able to overclock my Early 2008 2.8 to 3.3Ghz, and 3.2Ghz with a reboot.
  10. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2009

is anybody able to tell me, in a nutshell, why Kingston's memory modules are so much more expensive than Crucial's? Do they have any specific feature?

Crucial (8GB modules): € 190.99 ex. VAT
    Kingston (8GB modules) € 305.00 ex. VAT :confused:
  11. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2005
    Just recently got a matched pair of 2GB Kingston KTA on top of my stock 6x1GB RAM on my 2009 Octad MP, so all 8 slots occupied. As for tri-channel, there is no difference on my apps, even though some of them are memory hogs.
  12. forester54 macrumors member

Oct 5, 2009
    apple says you have to get them in pairs.

BTW do all MP's need the heatsinks on the RAM?
  13. nanofrog macrumors G4

May 6, 2008
    There shouldn't be any difference (both indicate they're for Apple MP, so it has the same timings and heatsinks), so go with the less expensive vendor.

The '06 - '08 MP's used DDR2 FB-DIMM (memory clock depends on the model though; 667 or 800MHz), which did require heatsinks. Larger from that used on the PC versions, given their placement. Otherwise, it was the same chips and PCB as the PC variants.

The '09's do not require heatsinks. DDR3 runs much cooler than DDR2 FB-DIMM's. :)
  14. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Sep 6, 2009
    I have used Kingston rams for many years from the Powermac G5s and the MacPros. Works fine with no problems. I don't know about the warranty in other countries but here Kingston has a lifetime warranty.
  15. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm going to post a comment i made in another thread, it has to do with kingston ram;

I had a similar problem with RAM i purchased made by Kingston, for my first generation Mac Pro. I bought 2x2gb sticks. I already had 4x512mb, so I would have had a total of 6gb. I installed the ram and it came out at 4gb total. I repositioned the ram and restarted the mac, and got my full 6gb.

After about 2 weeks, after doing some random fiddling around with settings and such, I checked my mac pro's system specs (just to drool at its awesomeness) and noticed my RAM went down from 6gb to 4gb. I checked everything; repositioning of ram, swapping ram out (isolated old ram, isolated new ram), ram tests, pram resets, etc. What I found that the kingston modules were showing up as 2x1gb. So i tried running them on their own (only one module in the mac). Sure enough, a red light flashed on the riser card and one of them had dropped down to 1gb of available memory, the other was fine. When paired, I got a total of 2gb. I got it quickly replaced for new working ram. I'm still a little skeptical of kingston, eventhough its brand name. Hopefully the new modules I got will last me a good while.

Here's my thread if you wanna read more into it;
  16. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2009
    Sure thing, I will do so. Thanks! :)

Seems its brand name would cost a hefty €100 to me. A good reason to be definitely skeptical :p

Thanks for your link! ;)
  17. DNA930 macrumors member

Sep 24, 2009
    I bought 4 sticks of 2GB Kingston HyperX from Fry's on sale and haven't had any problems. Buying the individual sticks was about 30% cheaper than buying the dual channel matched pair.

Do manufacturers actually do anything to determine matched pairs or do they just package two of the same the same model in the package?
  18. nanofrog macrumors G4

May 6, 2008
    They should, but these days, I think the definition of "matched" has become subjective with some vendors.

For example, they may only consider matching the listed specs of type, clock, and timings, rather than any binning at all (tests the individual DIMMs to see what it can actually do, and combine similarly performing DIMM's in the kit). It can be done by binning the chips before assembly into the DIMM, but the variance may be wider as a result. But the binning process is the reason the price is higher.