Anyone using MBA with AEBS+HDD/NAS/TM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by badgerman, Oct 30, 2010.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

If you can't fit your media on the small SSDs do you access it wirelessly using the above? Do you lose your snappyness of the MBA if your wirelessly accessing your pictures, movies, mp3s through iphoto, VLC n iTunes?

Any negatives to this when in home network, know the obvious issue of when away and some solutions for that, with the caveats over access over internet.

I was planning on setting up 2 iphoto n iTunes albums one locally n one on the wireles attached HDD and using just favourites locally when away from the home.

Assuming this must be a common issue for all the new small capacity SSD owners coming from larger HDDs like me.

Any thoughts/ advice?

2. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

I use readyNAS duo, superb, iTunes library on there and movies. With regards iTunes I would not tell if the files are local or over wifi the streaming is that good, its instantaneous (AEBS btw). Same goes for avi movies streamed over wifi to air, instant on and can scrub no problems, very surprised here by the performance. I tried the AEBS HDD function but found it was incredibly slow and temperamental. NAS is the future! and its all mirrored!

see sticky thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429956 (Using Remote File Access to Save Disk Space on Your MBA)

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

4. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

How about being able to access a HD that is connected to an AEBS while being away from home, with no other computer on at home. Is that possible?

5. elwood58 macrumors member

MobileMe will allow you to access the AEBS HDD.

6. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

What about without MobileMe?