Anyone using Memory Clean?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nightlong, Dec 10, 2012.

1. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Noticed this at the App store. Is it a good idea or, like MacKeeper and suchlike, a very bad idea?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

4. chabig macrumors 601

They do nothing useful. The operating system manages memory by design. Apps like that are made by thieves for suckers.

5. iamtheonlyone4ever Suspended

iamtheonlyone4ever

it seems like bad advice from bitter people, that app was one of the first one I ever used on Mac OS
    it was one of my favorites, there is a free version so saying that they just want money is not entirely correct
    it all depends on how much ram you have in your computer
    if you have 4 gigs or less then you might need it to recover lost ram
    is you have 8 gigs you might not need it but if you have many apps installed that are taking your ram space away
    then you are going to needed anyway
    it all depend in your ram speed, how much ram you have physically and virtually available and what you have installed in your system
    take it a for a test drive and find out for yourself
    it won't hurt
    but stay away from Mac keeper that one is bad news
    use cleanmymac instead
    cheers

6. kohlson macrumors 68000

Perhaps 4 or 5 releases ago, Mac OS X did not do.a very good job of garbage collection (GC) - releasing united RAM. I typically have lots of apps open (PPT, PS, Camtasia, browsers). Especially with Fusion, it was easy to run out of real memory. Memory Clean was awesome, and allowed me to get working without the beach ball.But more recently, Mac OS X 's GC is much better. That, along with memory compression and faster SSD/storage, mean that I rarely encounter beach balls due to not enough available memory.

7. netsrot39 macrumors member

If OSX doesn't clean up RAM by itself I usually run "sudo purge" in Terminal. I believe that the application Memory Clean doesn't really do more than the terminal command I frequently use ...