Anyone using Mozy for Macbook Backup

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Shogododdo, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Shogododdo macrumors member

Hi,

Just about to take delivery of my first MB and would like to hear from anyone with experience of using Mozy Online Backup service. I use this for my XP/W2k other family laptops and it is cracking !

Cheers

Shogo

P.S.
    Dont try to convert me to time capsule or external HD, done that, seen the video, got the t-shirt. On-line block incremental backup services are the way of the future (especially at $4.99 a month for unlimited disk space on a single home laptop).

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, Mozy works just fine with Leopard. My only reservation about the service (and that goes for all the similar services out there) is the fact that even with a fast connection, if you have/create a lot of data, it can be very slow.

3. Shogododdo thread starter macrumors member

agreed, the initial full image does take many days to get over the wire (depending on your broadband upload speed of course), but after that its great for just file changes etc.

Thanks you for the swift response Tersono.

4. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

actually, my problem with online backup systems (and sites) is this. how safe is it really? can the company open my files and folders?

5. Shogododdo thread starter macrumors member

I think you would have to take your concerns up with each service provider individually.

For those that dont know Mozy is an EMC company. EMC are the largest enterprise storage manufacturer in the world. If security was a threat it would be a major egg on face and a corporate nightmare for them....

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

My pleasure - I agree, it's a damn good service if it suits your particular needs =]

8. Shogododdo thread starter macrumors member

four words : Read My Earlier Post

:D