Anyone using MS OneNote as a Paperless database ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2112, Mar 5, 2015.

1. 2112 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm currently using DevonThink Pro as my paperless database. I scan and store anything from receipts to medical records which I file under the appropriate folder. I also tag the files and name them accordingly, but that's about it. It's almost one step above using a folder structure in the Finder.

The mail problem I have with DevonThink it inputting new scanned documents. I have to basically save them to Dropbox and then wait to get home in order to file it properly. Their iOS app. is just plain bad.

Which takes me to OneNote. I currently have an Office 365 subscription, and considering that there are Mac and iOS versions of OneNote, I figured I could give it a try. However the structure they push for the database is somewhat different than the Folder > File structure that DevonThink (or the Finder, for that matter) uses.

Is anyone using OneNote as their gather-all-paperless-database ?

Thanks !

2. Basilfawltyone, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

Basilfawltyone macrumors regular

I have used DevonThink for two months now. Love the app. Not the easiest to use or the best UI, little bit like hiding a Ferrari engine in a Volvo.

However, I love the app now. And I agree with the iOS app but 2.0 is just around the corner and will hopefully show up soon.

I understand that the upgrade will be free for everyone paying for the app sold today in the App Store.

I missed the possibility to use iCloud or similar cloud service at start but the more I have used DT with WiFi sync the happier I get. I really do not want:

1. All my data to be accessible for everyone just a password away
    2. To pay for Verizon Data for all my syncing
    3. To be held hostage with slow internet connections (I travel all the time)
    4. Most important- I do not want to PAY a company to store my information with the risk that they either raise the price or just outright disappear.
    But I do want to bring with me ALL my emails inside the DevonTink ToGo app.

I just realized after several calls with Apple support that there IS A LIMIT OF 150 emails per folder on all iOS devices. All emails stays on your computer but iOS Mail only sync max 150 per folder. So you have to divide your emails if you have many. I also LOVE to be able to work off line with all my stuff when flying. Very often a I was stuck with no internet on planes and non downloaded stuff in my mailbox on my iPad.