Anyone using new MBA 13 with CS5?

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm using my MBP 17" i7 2.3 with 8gb RAM and my primary use is CS5. I normally don't run any other app while running Photoshop. I shoot in RAW but do all my conversions before i bring the files in CS5. By the time they're in CS5 they're usually 10-15mb JPEGs.

Is there anyone working in CS5 wit these files that can advise? I want to see the feasibility of switching to the Air for weight savings and portability and then get a cinema display instead.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm using my MBP 17" i7 2.3 with 8gb RAM and my primary use is CS5. I normally don't run any other app while running Photoshop. I shoot in RAW but do all my conversions before i bring the files in CS5. By the time they're in CS5 they're usually 10-15mb JPEGs.

Is there anyone working in CS5 wit these files that can advise? I want to see the feasibility of switching to the Air for weight savings and portability and then get a cinema display instead.
My air is supposed to arrive today. Will run CS5.5, lightroom and other software like that tomorrow most likely.

Comment

fotuwe

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
using CS 5.5 (mainly Photoshop) for heavy postprocessing on RAW images.

Works great :)

Comment

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Photoshop runs fine on both. But speed increase can definitely be seen on i7. Importing and feels much speedy.

Comment

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Watch out for possible RAM issues if you are compositing big formats for print or work in 3D or just running multiple files at the same time. Also GPU acceleration is questionable, it might work right and it might not.

But you know whats biggest con running CS5 on MBA? Small screen.
Please take care of your eyes people. Smaller the screen greater the strain on your eyes. MBA/MBP screens are really bad when it comes accurate colors (in case you need it).

Comment

askrib

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
I've got a 13" i7 256ssd. I installed cs5 master. It all runs smooth. LOVE this computer.

Comment

vow

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I'm using LR3 and PS CS5.1. Both work like a charm on my i7 MBA so far. I'm coming from the 2010 MBA and my Photoshop actions run much faster now. I haven't noticed too much of a difference in LR3 yet, although I'm sure rendering previews after a session will be much faster now.

Comment

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Any new update guys? I'm about to pull the trigger in a few days. My MBP 2011 17" 2.3 i7 is great but it's been giving me way too much headache later (overheat, thermal failure, etc) so I'm getting a new replacement from apple and I'm going to sell that. I think the Air should be good enough based on the benchmarks but I'd like some hands on reviews from you guys first. Thanks! :D

Comment

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Any new update guys? I'm about to pull the trigger in a few days. My MBP 2011 17" 2.3 i7 is great but it's been giving me way too much headache later (overheat, thermal failure, etc) so I'm getting a new replacement from apple and I'm going to sell that. I think the Air should be good enough based on the benchmarks but I'd like some hands on reviews from you guys first. Thanks! :D
Lightroom works great and CS5.5 photoshop has been working well as well. No problems so far but haven't been doing much other than light photo editing and one or two gifs. Acrobat X has had some lag on some files (~2-3mb) so I'm not sure if it's a bug or compatibility issues.

Comment

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Hey guys,

Last year's MBA Ultimate ran CS5 really well.

This year's MBA Ultimate runs it faster.

Any other questions?

Oh, and I always leave Photoshop running in the background. And I've never needed to close any apps to improve performance.

Comment

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Last year's MBA Ultimate ran CS5 really well.

This year's MBA Ultimate runs it faster.

Any other questions?

Oh, and I always leave Photoshop running in the background. And I've never needed to close any apps to improve performance.
What apps are you running along with cs5? I usually will have iTunes and safari open and sometimes even my mbp 17 will lag which is odd. Have you tried editing with more than one image?

Comment

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
What apps are you running along with cs5? I usually will have iTunes and safari open and sometimes even my mbp 17 will lag which is odd. Have you tried editing with more than one image?
o_O

6-8 images open in photoshop. Tons of Safari tabs. Maybe Vuze running in the background, MSN Messenger, iTunes is always open, I usually have Eclipse running, and sometimes I'll fire up Parallels while all this is going on. No lag. Play some Quake Live with all this including Parallels running, no lag.

Stream a 1080p YouTube video... no lag. Add in using TeamViewer on top of it all, still no lag. Maybe fire up a blu ray in VLC media player and start playing it... No lag.

Comment

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
o_O

6-8 images open in photoshop. Tons of Safari tabs. Maybe Vuze running in the background, MSN Messenger, iTunes is always open, I usually have Eclipse running, and sometimes I'll fire up Parallels while all this is going on. No lag. Play some Quake Live with all this including Parallels running, no lag.

Stream a 1080p YouTube video... no lag. Add in using TeamViewer on top of it all, still no lag. Maybe fire up a blu ray in VLC media player and start playing it... No lag.
You're doing this all on the current 13"? What specs? :eek::eek::eek: sounds like it's doing a hell of a lot better than my 17" MBP i7

Comment