Anyone using Office 2011 Outlook for Email over Apple Mail App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wicked1, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Wondering if the 2011 Outlook is way better then Entourage from 2008 and if anyone prefers it to the new version of Apple Mail Application?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I agree with this - I've used the Apple mail app (SL version, not Lion version), Entourage, and OL2011. OL 2011 has quirks, but it was the best of the three in my opinion.

4. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

I started with outlook 2011 but soon converted over to Mail simply because it interfaces better with the Calendar and Address Book, and those get iCloud'ed [sic] over to my iOS devices.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I agree it's better than Entourage, and stores mail better than its predecessor.

But frankly it's not much better than Mail IMHO. It pales in comparison to its PC brother, which connects email, contacts and other info much more usefully.

I started using MailTags with Mail, and that made me make the switch permanently. Tagging is SO much more useful than categories in Outlook.

Rob

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I am but mainly because I have an Exchange account (don't think Apple Mail can handle it).

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple Mail can handle Exchange. That was one of the selling features of Snow Leopard and has carried over to Lion.

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

i use Outlook 2011 because it'll talk to icloud in Snow Leopard.

9. interrobang macrumors 6502

I use Mail with my IMAP accounts and Outlook with my Exchange accounts.

I had good experiences with Snow Leopard Mail and iCal and Exchange 2007, but they became extremely unreliable after we moved to Exchange 2010. Unexpected quitting, failing to update, failing to send. To be fair, Apple never promised Snow Leopard Mail would work with Exchange 2010.

I don't know if Lion has fixed the issues with Exchange 2010 (I imagine so), but I can say that Lion's fake-leather iCal makes it look like it's crusted with mud. (There's a hack, but I'll be darned if I'm going to apply a hack to make an app look decent when I have alternatives.)

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I do not care for Mail, mainly because it makes it difficult to set-up accounts. The so-called "wizard" makes it impossible to manually configure an account unless you go offline. For example, Mail assumes that GMail accounts are always IMAP even when the user wants to configure a POP3 GMail account.

And don't get me started about Mail's tendency to "forget" account passwords... :rolleyes:

At the same time it is necessary to purchase plugins to add features to Mail that are standard in clients such as Eudora, which unfortunately is no longer an option now that Lion has dropped Rosetta. The most popular Mail plugins can cost more than $50.

After trying various e-mail clients I have switched to GyazMail ($18 at http://gyazsquare.com/gyazmail/). Configuring accounts is easy and fast. Customizing GyazMail is also easy. Its built-in Rules and Filters are powerful and easy to implement.

Unfortunately, Gyazmail apparently does not support Exchange. But since I don't need that feature I don't miss it...

11. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I HATE it when it forgets my passwords. It's not doing it as often as it used to though. As for using accounts. Press option when about to click create, it becomes continue.

12. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

13. Zeiss macrumors member

Win version has the start screen that gives you your day at a glance, I loved this, and now that you can kind of get it on iOS devices, anyone know how to do this in OSX? Mail, iCal etc is better cause of syncing...., and auto event generation from within mail!,

14. Malbone macrumors newbie

GyazMail and other Eudora replacements

I second the recommendation of GyazMail. I had used Eudora for many years and went through several apps trying to duplicate the look and feel of Eudora. GyazMail sets up in a similar way (although the terminology is different and confusing -- Eudora mailboxes are called "folders" and Eudora folders are called "local accounts") and is easy to configure through rules.

GyazMail allows for multiple POP/IMAP accounts. Since I prefer to collect all my email in one inbox, I created a series of rules to accomplish that. After a few days of tweaking, it runs as well and as fast as Eudora, while supporting features that Eudora lacked (like HTML display). I had some difficulty importing mail from Eudora to GyazMail, but solved it by importing it first into Mailsmith, and then to GyazMail. (I didn't find Mailsmith exactly to my liking.)

MailForge, which advertises itself as a Eudora replacement, is slow and highly buggy, leading to crashes while attempting to do something a simple as sending mail. I gave it a more than fair trial but couldn't make it work properly.

Note to those using IMAP accounts in office environments: Consider Mulberry, a very ambitious product which focuses primarily on IMAP, but is not for the casual user due to the insane amount of customization required. However if you are administering a multiuser environment, it may be for you. Mulberry hasn't been updated in about five years, but still seems quite advanced.

15. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I do at work for one reason because Lion Mail on three different computers out of three does not work with latest MS Exchange mail.

The problem is that about half the time Mail refuses to send messages containing attachments using smtp server from Exchange account.

So for us, Outlook 2011 just works and Apple Mail just doesn't, even though it has better user interface, in my opinion.

----------

In theory yes, in reality - no go.

16. shawnkaplan macrumors newbie

Trying Outlook 2011

Outlook has a number of features that the Mail app and more significantly the calendar app just doesn't have, for a business interface it's superior. (resource scheduling, time zone, views, availability, etc)

The only problem that I've run in to (and this is significant) is that I will have to move my contacts over from iCloud into Outlook. it seems that Outlook just won't integrate the iCloud contacts for some reason. that's a real shame because I recently moved all my contacts over from outlook into iCloud because they sync better there and integrate with the apple tools better.

So all I need is to integrate the iCloud contacts into Outlook (like you can with ANY OTHER contact list) and Outlook would be the perfect fit for business use.

17. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I use Outlook for several reasons:
    • It easily syncs with Exchange
    • I prefer it's calendaring to Apple's

18. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I am on Lion, and use Mail/iCal with Exchange 2010. Works well. Outlook is bloated and buggy IMO. I tried to like it, but it just didn't do it.

Mail is light, and fast. The setup is pretty straightforward on Exchange 2010. If the server is setup properly [The Anywhere features, etc.] it's a breeze.

iCal works well, including meetings, resources, etc. I don't care for the leather look, but it beats Outlook. For me at least...

19. philxor macrumors regular

I find having everything integrated into Outlook 2011 better than using Mail/iCal/Contacts. I used Mail for years with our Exchange server and whatnot but since Outlook 2011 came out I've completely stopped using Mail. We also switched to Lync for all of our web/phone conferencing and it's fully integrated into Outlook, with iCal I'd have to boot my work PC in order to schedule something...

I also had issues with Mail (in SL) randomly sending messages with the wrong font sizes, or line breaks being in the wrong places, etc.

20. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

I beg to differ and I state you DON'T know what you're talking about.
    Its the SAME animal for the PC version (Outlook 2010 Professional Plus) and it actually shows MORE information in GAL Contacts in an Exchange 207/2010 environment - i.e. Contacts in the GAL lookup shows all phone numbers incl mobile not segregated in tabs).

Email conversations view is much more efficient in 2011 vs 2010 Outlook (only OWA replicates this by default).

Calendar, Contacts, Notes all work as they should in equal or even much faster workflows than Outlook 2010 for PC.

Give both a try (6hrs a piece each day x 5day work week for 3mths in an Exchange enviro and you'll see) ;) .

----------

I'm curious how much more powerful this is when using your iOS devices?

21. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Outlook 2011 is missing features that are in 2010. A big glaring example would be Exchange Archives.

22. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

those of you with Exchange account issues on 2010 server with mail ... try looking at the authentication schema in the server vs whats enabled by default on OSX's Mail. Changes here also affect Outlook 2011 and I had to make 1 change as well.

23. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Just be sure the Exchange server is 2007 or above or Outlook 2011 won't work with it.

24. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Try to start/end your workday on a half-hour (e.g. 6:30AM) in the Calendar in OL2011.....you can't.....works fine in OL2010 (and every version of Outlook going back to Outlook 98 for the PC).