Anyone using PLEX and an Apple TV 4th Gen?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AaronE, Feb 2, 2017.

1. ihonda macrumors 68000

So every time I play an mkv with plex on the 4K Apple TV it’s transcoding? My base 2014 Mac mini can easily handle 4 streams of mkv files... all 1080p. Same with the Samsung tv plex app. So I’m confused. I was looking for a pr4100 but the Mac mini seems to serve well so far.

2. archer75 macrumors 65816

Correct. If you play something in plex that the client doesn't support it will transcode. But it's not an all or nothing thing. Plex will only transcode the part that isn't supported. I don't know what your audio and video files are but at the very least it's transcoding the container.
    I don't know what your Samsung tv supports but it could be transcoding as well.

3. DarkSorrow82 macrumors regular

DarkSorrow82

You can always use Infuse on the AppleTV. It plays my 4K movies clearly.

4. disbthai macrumors newbie

i'm new to this PLEX with Apple TV4. Right now i have all my media on my PC and its on 24/7 for me to access Plex anywhere. What do you all suggest I'll get so my PC is not always on? a mac mini with a HDD enclosure hook up to it?

5. archer75 macrumors 65816

Whatever you do something is going to be on all the time. It's not a big deal. I leave my PC on 24/7 and have for years. I'm also running Sonarr so it stays on to auto download shows as well.
    For something cheap and small an Nvidia Shield can be both a plex server and client.

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

So I want plex to play subtitle on every video that has it
    I know I can go to plex account and make it play for every video but if I do that I won’t be able to change the subtitle size
    If I leave this setting off and instead turn subtitles on by default in the Apple TV settings It changes the size but I have to swipe down during a video to turn subtitles on everytime
    Why doesn’t the Apple TV universal subtitle on work on plex app but it does for every other app ?

7. Gulfam macrumors member

How exactly does Infuse work without a server? For instance I'm currently using Plex and running the server on an old Windows laptop that I have installed Lubuntu on. My movies are stored on an external 1TB HDD. How would I go about getting my media onto Infuse, is it possible with my setup?

8. priitv8 macrumors 68030

By activating DLNA Server feature on Plex?

9. archer75 macrumors 65816

Infuse can see the plex server and the folders you created. It will add them. I don't know if I needed to do anything for that to happen. Seems like it was automatic.

10. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

How have the men in Black suites not knocked on your door? :confused:

If I had that many movies I would not brag to anyone I did. :oops:

11. edgr.sanchez macrumors member

To be correct, Plex WILL DirectPlay to an Apple TV so long as the source file is correct.

12. priitv8 macrumors 68030

The streams need to be correct. Meaning AVC (lately also HEVC) for video and AAC stereo or DD5.1 for audio.

13. Snoopy4, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I got frustrated with Plex hoping it would be great for BD quality streaming in house and gave up. It’s just not that user friendly to get up and running. Maybe when I have more time.

14. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

I am using it and like it a lot.

I'm using an old (2015 I think) MacMini 100% dedicated to it.... works mostly great with my Apple TV 4 (although irritating that I occasionally get buffering even though they're right next to each other and are both hard-wired into my router to avoid wifi issues.

Also, I'm very proud of my OCD organization skills with my library sorting:

01.png 02.png 03.png 04.png 05.png