Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeathProof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Am thinking of it cos i have some sensitive documents i want to keep out of prying eyes and i have never used one before...

Anyone using one now? Am interested to find out the CONS of using it. And is there really a "ghosting" (3D) effect (this is indeed a deal-breaker) on the homescreen icons i saw in some youtube vids...

Power Support has a 4-way one. What's the difference between the normal 2-way and the 4-way?

Sorry to be asking this, but there are too few people using it.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Am thinking of it cos i have some sensitive documents i want to keep out of prying eyes and i have never used one before...

Anyone using one now? Am interested to find out the CONS of using it. And is there really a "ghosting" (3D) effect (this is indeed a deal-breaker) on the homescreen icons i saw in some youtube vids...

Power Support has a 4-way one. What's the difference between the normal 2-way and the 4-way?

Sorry to be asking this, but there are too few people using it.

lets see

scratch easily
colors look like crap
mirror like finish
looks tacky

etc etc

the display on the iPhone 4 is GOOOORGEOUS, I've seen what those privacy shields do to the screen, it's awful

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
lets see

scratch easily
colors look like crap
mirror like finish
looks tacky

etc etc

the display on the iPhone 4 is GOOOORGEOUS, I've seen what those privacy shields do to the screen, it's awful

No, it doesn't scratch easily, maybe the cheap brand does as its actually thicker than a regular protector.

colors don't look like crap, but it will have some distortion, its subjective and its a tradeoff of clarity vs. privacy.

can I you please show a privacy screen that has a mirror like finish? have you even seen one or used one? they look like tinted glass unless within the last 24 hours, they have developed a new privacy screen technology so please check your facts before post erroneous information.

looks tacky? it looks like a regular film, so please once again, please stop posting erroneous information as it seems like you haven't even used one in person.

I have used a few in the past and the difference between a 4 way and a 2 way is with a 4 way, no matter which way (portrait or landscape) you hold your phone, others around you cannot seen the screen at an angle. 2 way just means you can still see your screen either portrait side or landscape side depending on how you apply your film.

It all comes down to how important privacy is to you, as you will trade off some clarity and ease of view.

DeathProof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks Outrigger, what kind of "distortion" should i expect with a privacy screen?

Ghosting?

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Color distortion, lines. Screen is going to be darker at different levels at different spots.

DeathProof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Color distortion, lines. Screen is going to be darker at different levels at different spots.

Hmmmm... not sure if i can deal with color distortion. The lines issue seems to be with certain brands.

coolnwo

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Hmmmm... not sure if i can deal with color distortion. The lines issue seems to be with certain brands.

got the 4 way from PS. Had to send it back. Its AWFUL. Its just kills the quality of the screen really bad. It works for what its supposed to do. Also the Prox sensor DOES not work with this. You will be hitting button after button on phone with this on.

DeathProof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
got the 4 way from PS. Had to send it back. Its AWFUL. Its just kills the quality of the screen really bad. It works for what its supposed to do. Also the Prox sensor DOES not work with this. You will be hitting button after button on phone with this on.

Awwwww.... you just delivered the Death Blow to my dreams. :D

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Like I said before, its a trade off. I think for the average person, its the tradeoff isn't worth the lost of color and clarity, but if you're reading docs and emails so sensitive that it rivals national security, well, you shouldn't be reading in public with people around you and you probably shouldn't be using an iphone. :D

It worked well for me when using it with a blackberry, but I only used it for emails, txt and phones and not much else. Not a great fit for the iphone or other full touch screen multimedia heavy phones.

DeathProof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Like I said before, its a trade off. I think for the average person, its the tradeoff isn't worth the lost of color and clarity, but if you're reading docs and emails so sensitive that it rivals national security, well, you shouldn't be reading in public with people around you and you probably shouldn't be using an iphone. :D

It worked well for me when using it with a blackberry, but I only used it for emails, txt and phones and not much else. Not a great fit for the iphone or other full touch screen multimedia heavy phones.

Yes, seems that the tradeoff would be a crime against technology... no worries, looks like it's back to SGP vs Powersupport (Oily Oleo vs Pixel Matte) for me then...

They ought to change the term Oleo.... seems to me its misrepresentation selling it as repels oil....

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
1) No, it doesn't scratch easily, maybe the cheap brand does as its actually thicker than a regular protector colors don't look like crap, but it will have some distortion, its subjective and its a tradeoff of clarity vs. privacy.

The mirrored ones make the colors look completely loopy, and the 4 way ones kill color saturation, brightness and reduces the clarity of the retina display

2) can I you please show a privacy screen that has a mirror like finish? have you even seen one or used one? they look like tinted glass unless within the last 24 hours, they have developed a new privacy screen technology so please check your facts before post erroneous information.

9848994_rb.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iFrogz+...ci_sku=9848994&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218183919240

3) looks tacky? it looks like a regular film, so please once again, please stop posting erroneous information as it seems like you haven't even used one in person.

the shield is thick as hell, makes using the home button a pain, turns your beautiful S-IPS retina display into something worse than TN panels, reviews have said the edges peel after use, will not work with a lot of cases, etc etc

oh and lets see what else
drains battery life, hard to use outdoors, etc etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.