Anyone using Rhinoceros 4.0 on some VMWare on MBP13 (2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgz, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

Hiho,

Rhinoceros 4.0 is the only software, which I use, which requires Windows. (I know there is a Beta OSX Version, but there all the plugins aren't running!).

So my question is: Is someone using Rhino on VMWare on a MBP 13 2011 (Parallels, Fusion or Virtualbox or whatever...). How does it feel, especially in combination with Grasshopper?

Would you feel a difference in speed between i5 and i7 using VMWare?

Thanks in advance

2. riptideMBP, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I'm not very familiar with rhino, but I had to install it on my parallels vm to do something for a class once. If there's a model you could link me to, I could tell you how things run. Also, as i have done a bit in Solidworks, I can tell you that it's performance is MUCH better with complex models in bootcamp compered to with virtualization, but I'm not sure if that applies to what you are asking about.

EDIT: AFAIK ram and graphics card are the biggest factors in vm performance (not processor)

3. jgz thread starter macrumors regular

jgz

Because its the only software, which I use ((which needs Win), I would like to avoid Bootcamp, because it feels a little bit uncomfortable, switching to other programs, like AutoCAD or PS installed on OSX etc... Thats why I'm asking, I want to avoid, that I have to install all programs twice...

Grasshopper is parametric design plugin for Rhino, I think, because it has to calculate (depending on the script/definition) a lot.... Hopefully its only CPU-intensive.... (damn IGP...)

I dont want to buy a MBP15, because its to big (I have atm a Sony laptop, same sizes - and too big for me as I travel alot...), too expensive and I dont like it generally......

My plan is to buy a 13.3 i7 MBP + 8GB RAM + Seagate Momentus XT... it HAS to work for me...

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I was curious to see if there was any difference in rhino with my integrated Intel HD Graphics or my discrete Nvidia 330m, so I ran this benchmark called Holomark. The task took 204 seconds to complete with integrated, getting a score of 2451. Discrete resulted in an 81 second completion time and a score of 6126. The graphics card state was the only manipulation in this test.

btw my vm settings are 2 processors & 2GB ram. Total processor use in windows was around 80% and ram use was 1.25GB

5. jgz thread starter macrumors regular

jgz

hm okay, benchmark numbers are like i expected, but the most important question is, if you are able to work with it....

6. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

couldn't really tell you since I've spent all of 2 hours with rhino, but you can get a free trial of parallels, and a free trial of rhino, so you're probably best off testing it for your specific needs.

7. jgz thread starter macrumors regular

jgz

hehe, yeah, i know, but there is a little prob: i don't own a mac :)
    i wanna buy one (13.3 i7 mbp), but i want to check first, if everything will work fine for me....

8. debb macrumors newbie

Still unanswered

Hi,

I have been wondering about the same issue. It's now Rhino 5. I use bootcamp right now to access it. It is a pain to switch back and forth--not to mention that Adobe will not give you a dual program so you must purchase one for windows and one for mac.....another issue entirely. In any case, I did download a trial of Parallels. All seemed to work and downloading was very easy and quick. Working on a Rhino document seemed also to be fine until I tried moving an object and it shot off into another part of the rhino universe--thus mis-locating my main drawing. I thought perhaps it was the apple mouse but tried a logic tech and the same thing happened. Then there were a couple of crashes. So, not exactly happy with Parallels and will uninstall the trial soon unless some one has a fix/explanation as to what is going on. VM anyone?