Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPlayFair

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2012
If so, how is it working out for you? I am considering using that combo as an Imac substitute.

clumeng

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
I just did this. My prior setup was 2009 iMac with 20" external display at work - MBA at home. I loooove my MBA.

I'm shocked to say that since switching to my rMBP and TB display I hardly even touch my MBA - really shocked. I can work at home and start out just where I left it without waiting for dropbox sync etc - it's a small thing but really pretty significant. The TB display decision really depends on the accessories - basiclaly with one plug I have my Ethernet, FW Drobo, drives, scanner all plugged in and ready to go.

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YRtFaILhhw

The only issue I currently have is I'm getting pretty frequent kernel panics with my rMBP (I don't have chrome installed). I fear that Im going to have to have to send it into the shop to get fixed. About 60% of the time after I wake from sleep I get a Kernel panic and have to reboot - that being said the reboot speed is so frigging fast it really doesn't fell like an issue.

dailybibliotaph

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
I also have a Thunderbolt display and use it with my rMBP. Previously I used the TB display with a 2011 15-inch MBP. I notice that the rMBP runs cooler and spins the fan at a slower rate - really not noticeable with normal room noise - than the 2011 MBP. I also have a 27-inch iMac and a 13-inch MBP (wife's).

If you don't already have a Thunderbolt then I would wait till a refresh to get the USB 3.0 support and Magsafe 2. Don't think they will refresh it with an up spec'ed screen anytime soon though.

IPlayFair

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2012
I also have a Thunderbolt display and use it with my rMBP. Previously I used the TB display with a 2011 15-inch MBP. I notice that the rMBP runs cooler and spins the fan at a slower rate - really not noticeable with normal room noise - than the 2011 MBP. I also have a 27-inch iMac and a 13-inch MBP (wife's).

If you don't already have a Thunderbolt then I would wait till a refresh to get the USB 3.0 support and Magsafe 2. Don't think they will refresh it with an up spec'ed screen anytime soon though.

Thanks, I do not have a Thunderbolt and my plan is to wait for the new one.

br3nt

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I just did this. My prior setup was 2009 iMac with 20" external display at work - MBA at home. I loooove my MBA.

I'm shocked to say that since switching to my rMBP and TB display I hardly even touch my MBA - really shocked. I can work at home and start out just where I left it without waiting for dropbox sync etc - it's a small thing but really pretty significant. The TB display decision really depends on the accessories - basiclaly with one plug I have my Ethernet, FW Drobo, drives, scanner all plugged in and ready to go.

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YRtFaILhhw

The only issue I currently have is I'm getting pretty frequent kernel panics with my rMBP (I don't have chrome installed). I fear that Im going to have to have to send it into the shop to get fixed. About 60% of the time after I wake from sleep I get a Kernel panic and have to reboot - that being said the reboot speed is so frigging fast it really doesn't fell like an issue.

going out on a limb here since I dont know your setup etc...
Are you using gfxCardStatus?
cause i was messing around with it and figuring out the "weaknesses" for my first mac, retina mbp;
if you use external monitor and force the iGPU it would crash the computer
(under Lion, haven't tried on ML yet...). Maybe the scenario is that you by mistake move the power cable thus making the computer switch to battery power and gfxcard kicks in by turning off the dGPU?

just a thought :)

clumeng

macrumors member
May 14, 2010

1. I doubt there will be a TB USB3 refresh anytime soon - USB3 was built into the new Intel Chipset so it was a no brainer move for the rMBP. Since Apple is pushing TB don't hold your breath that they will do this in the TB Display.

2. Amazingly - my TB display came with a Magsafe 2 adapter - nice touch - I wasted $10 getting one first they were thinking ahead.

3. not using gfxcardstatus but may try it and see. Even if I unplug the TB, let my rMBP settle out for a while and then manually sleep I'm getting the panic off and on. I'll probably see if ML fixes it.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
If so, how is it working out for you? I am considering using that combo as an Imac substitute.

considering I used an MBA with the TB display before, the rMBP just flies in comparison. I'd take a look at it at the store, but IMO you're right in between refreshes so it wouldn't be a good idea to buy new, used for the right price could be an option.

asicguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
I've got an older non-TB Cinema display on one side, a 1920x1200 HDMI monitor on the other. Great three monitor setup :)

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
2. Amazingly - my TB display came with a Magsafe 2 adapter - nice touch - I wasted $10 getting one first they were thinking ahead.

All ATDs sold after the MBA and rMBP refresh came with the adaptor. In the beginning they would ship it in a separate box, but they later shipped them in the same box.

dailybibliotaph

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
1. I doubt there will be a TB USB3 refresh anytime soon - USB3 was built into the new Intel Chipset so it was a no brainer move for the rMBP. Since Apple is pushing TB don't hold your breath that they will do this in the TB Display.

Wonder if that's right? How much would it cost to put a PCI controller in the TB display? There are a couple of Thunderbolt to USB 3 solutions available but they're expensive as they are part of a larger hub solution - Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock $399 comes to mind.

I think it's just a matter of time that Apple will migrate all their USB I/O to USB 3. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

clumeng

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
My guess would be that the current TB display does not get updated just for USB 3. I'd guess that they'd do an update when the larger iMac retina displays are available - lord knows when that will be. I'd assume the $$ would go up as well.

So as with anything - if you need the technology get it - you might have to wait awhile for all the pieces to fall together. You can alway plug in USB 3 into your retina MBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.