Anyone using Speech Recognition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhyalus, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hello All,

Anyone using this on their MBP?

It seems to work pretty well... funny that it does not seem natural to me though, despite watching Star Trek my whole life.

:)

R

2. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I know this will get me downgraded but the Windows 7 Speech Recognition is probably the best I've ever used.

OS X was amazing until Windows 7 came along. I'm not trolling here, it really is something that is useful and not just a 'toy'.

It is not just the recognition but how you navigate opening applications, browsing websites, and just using your voice to navigate the OS and the applications.

I have many colleagues that use it with Word when they are working with lots of papers and want to dictate information into Word.

If you have a chance to play with it under Windows 7 you should try it. I have felt like Apple set the bar pretty high with OS X, then Windows 7 added some very nice features, so I hope Apple further improves on it.

Cheers!
    -P

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Are you both referring to the new Dragon Express?

4. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

No - I was referring to the built in speech recognition on the MBP - check it out in system preferences.

R

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i originally started out with the mac speech recognition, but i really couldn't get it to work as well [i was using it to play chess :p] and it just didn't work out for me. Probably cuz i was using the internal mic, but still

but then i switched to Dragon Dictate = uber amazing!

I still haven't tried Windows 7's speech recognition though i have tried Vista's and i didn't approve, but I'll check out what you told us through my bootcamp :)

thanks for the info!

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I use this all the time to impress my friends:

Computer. Switch to Logic Pro

What does the Dragon do? Does it type what you talk?